Cracked shell. new owner of russian tortoise

Supriya Bharath

My russian tortoise's shell seems to be cracking. i am new to tortoises and i am worried that i am not looking after her right. I do add calcium supplement in her food but how much should i be adding? I fed her every day (20mins worth of greens). She does not seem to spend much time under the heat lamp either. She leaves all the supplement i add with greens, how ever well i mix it. What should i do?

20151203_151512.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Most Russian Tortoises are wild caught so some of that is normal . You can help a little by adding humidity . Check out Tom's care sheets in the Russian section .

Eggtort

Location (City and/or State)
United States
I can't give any advice on how to completely fix it, but I can add suggestions for an alternative to supplements? This sounds like a powdered supplement. Have you tried cuttlefish bone yet? Also how is your soaking schedule?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi,and welcome to the forum!

Your new wild-caught Russian tortoise might benefit from a shell topical. I don't normally advise using topicals on tortoise shells, but your tortoise's shell looks very dry. You can either use cold pressed, extra virgin coconut oil or mineral oil. Put a bit n the shell and rub it in well. Allow it to soak in for a half hour or so, then polish it all off with an absorbent cloth. Don't leave it on because it attracts dirt.

Supriya Bharath

Thank you Yvonne. I will try that for a few days. She is not eating the calcium supplement i put over the greens for her. She either leaves those leaves or dusts them off. How do I make her eat the calcium?

Hi,and welcome to the forum!

Your new wild-caught Russian tortoise might benefit from a shell topical. I don't normally advise using topicals on tortoise shells, but your tortoise's shell looks very dry. You can either use cold pressed, extra virgin coconut oil or mineral oil. Put a bit n the shell and rub it in well. Allow it to soak in for a half hour or so, then polish it all off with an absorbent cloth. Don't leave it on because it attracts dirt.

Supriya Bharath

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you Yvonne. I will try that for a few days. She is not eating the calcium supplement i put over the greens for her. She either leaves those leaves or dusts them off. How do I make her eat the calcium?

Don't use so much. They don't like the taste or smell of it, so you only use a very tiny pinch between your thumb and index finger, then mix it up well so it's not visible and is spread out all over the leaves.

Supriya Bharath

Thank you Yvonne. I will try adding a very tiny bit and see if he will eat it.

Don't use so much. They don't like the taste or smell of it, so you only use a very tiny pinch between your thumb and index finger, then mix it up well so it's not visible and is spread out all over the leaves.

awesomecs

5 Year Member
Most Russian Tortoises are wild caught so some of that is normal . You can help a little by adding humidity . Check out Tom's care sheets in the Russian section .

wait Russians like humidity I still soak mine and have clean water everyday