Continuing to have red foot table humidity issues

Redfoot Sam

Hi! A while back I built a 6x3.5 table for my 10 year old red foot (Nessie). It is a huge upgrade from the rabbit cage that my dumb self kept him in for way too long.
I got a humidifier which is piped directly into the plexiglass covered area. When it is on, the humidity goes way up to around 70% or so. When I turn it off, it drops to zero within a short matter of time.
My substrate is an inch of cypress mulch, on top of about three inches of straight up topsoil.
Any suggestions? Please help. I take a lot of pride in my table and I want it to be the best for Nessie.

Attachments

• IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4249.JPG
    IMG_4249.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 45

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Are you measuring with that stick on dial, or do you have a digital hygrometer? Those dial ones are not accurate or reliable at all.

It looks like about a third of the front is uncovered? If yes, then that is where your humidity is going.

I don't want to be discouraging, but that enclosure is way too small for a tortoise of that size. 4x8' would be too small.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Tables don't hold humidity well. I see you have a portion covered, but you will need to cover the entire enclosure if you have a dry home and want a humid habitat. Open tables equilibrate with the room they are in pretty fast and there is not much you can do about that beyond not having an open table.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello, Sam.
what part of the world do you live in?
Is it not going to be possible to keep your Redfoot out doors at all?
Making a sub adult Redfoot a humid, indoor enclosure and a size that would be appropriate will take some engineering.
A true "closed chamber" will require less heating because it will hold in heat and humidity. And redfoot don't like a lot of light. So you could likely do away with a lot of the complicated wiring and lamps you have going on there.
How about a whole new build? Something with fitted lids. Something that is water resistant to rotting. Something that is very large. As large as you have the room to build.
It might be a pain. But then you will be on easy street. ;)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Is there a way for now that you can completely cover it using heavy duty clear shower curtains? I have a 6 x 3 table/box and that's how I enclose it.

Reactions: Tom

Redfoot Sam

Hello, Sam.
what part of the world do you live in?
Is it not going to be possible to keep your Redfoot out doors at all?
Making a sub adult Redfoot a humid, indoor enclosure and a size that would be appropriate will take some engineering.
A true "closed chamber" will require less heating because it will hold in heat and humidity. And redfoot don't like a lot of light. So you could likely do away with a lot of the complicated wiring and lamps you have going on there.
How about a whole new build? Something with fitted lids. Something that is water resistant to rotting. Something that is very large. As large as you have the room to build.
It might be a pain. But then you will be on easy street. ;)
I live in Kansas City. The winters here are very cold, but the spring and summers are great (not for me, for a red foot). Very hot and very humid. I plan on making an outdoor enclosure as soon as the weather allows. I have been considering rebuilding. I think I could do a much better job the second time around now that I understand how it works.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
That's a good idea. Does it hold humidity well?
Sure does. I do not use a humidifier. I lightly spray the sphagnum moss and heavily spray the rocks and sides of the enclosure with warm water once per day....then close it back up.