Considering A adult Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gardena, Ca.
I saw a female RF at a local pet shop. She is about 6-7" long, about 5years old (?). She's housed in a 20 gal aquarium, in dry conditions, and I feel very sorry for her. When I examined her, she's alert and basically appears to be in pretty good shape. Some minor pyramiding, and the owner claims that she was a captive bred. No shell rot, clear wide eyes, and dry tail area. I have Greek torts, and I have been doing some research on providing RF's with proper care and housing. I live in the Los Angeles area, about 5 miles from the beach. My Greeks are thriving, I wonder how a RF will do. I came to a very agreeable price for her, and I want to provide the best possible living conditions, and not become a nightmare or heartbreak for me. She will be housed outside, and moved into the garage in the event of bad weather. Any advice will be greatly apprecieted. I am a member of a turtle/tortoise club, which will also give me support.
Thanks in advance!
John and Joanie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like a plan! Go for it.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
You won't regret it. Red-Foots are the best. You'll be addicted, so be ready to get some more.

-Matt

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
matt41gb said:
You won't regret it. Red-Foots are the best. You'll be addicted, so be ready to get some more.

-Matt

100% Agree. Redfoots are the best thing since sliced bread.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Most folks I say , "no, do greeks!" lol
since you've been there done that, you've got a better idea what you're in for.
love my redfoots, as long as you're ready for how big they get and sure about being able to provide for them, go for it.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. Before diving in, I'm going to ask to watch her eat and a look at her poo, which I think will tell a lot about her well being. As far as room for her, I think that I have enough yard space. My only concern is humidity. Yesterday it was in the high 70's with a humidity of 41%. In her pen, I'll have strata like moss, chips, or some other moisture holding material, and trying to keep it moist. Will this do?
Thanks

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Good Idea! I think your more than ready! More torts the better as long as you have the love, the room and knowlege to care for them.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
kit-e-kat said:
Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. Before diving in, I'm going to ask to watch her eat and a look at her poo, which I think will tell a lot about her well being. As far as room for her, I think that I have enough yard space. My only concern is humidity. Yesterday it was in the high 70's with a humidity of 41%. In her pen, I'll have strata like moss, chips, or some other moisture holding material, and trying to keep it moist. Will this do?
Thanks

John I married a Saint also.. has put up with me for 35 years too - come Dec. 20th!

It wouldn't hurt to have a little higher temps.. mist him [ not the substrate ] till he drips as many times EVERY day as possible and that will help offset the low humidity.. 6" - 7" raised up in my camp would be more like 3+ years old max. I have a couple early '05 hatched that are 8" SCL.

A minimum 2' x 6' for a single redfoot is what I would suggest with at least half shade.. 1/4 dark/hide [ period ]. The less direct sunlight the better.

This is how I raised 'em - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm - it has started a couple hundred hatchlings, etc.

NERD

HarleyK

5 Year Member
kit-e-kat said:
Thanks

Great Idea on looking at the poo. Most ppl won;t think of that.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
A little update. I got a sample of her poo, and it looked pretty good. Fairly firm, not runny, visually nothing moving. I watched her eat and she was eating with gusto. I've decided to pick her up this weekend, but before I do, I have to make her some suitable living quarters. I apologized to the store for being such a pain in the a** customer, but I told them that I must make sure that she is relatively healthy as vet bills could kill you. I hope to make her happy and give her the proper conditions she deserves.
Thanks All!
John and Joanie

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think it's wonderful that you're doing all this research before you buy her. I did the same thing, and I still had to change things around until I found the right thing for me, when I got mine.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I live north of LA like 30mins away, its pretty dry around here, but i keep mountain tortoises outdoors. Key is to have lots of plants, soil, and a good misting system.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
terryo said:
I think it's wonderful that you're doing all this research before you buy her. I did the same thing, and I still had to change things around until I found the right thing for me, when I got mine.

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately you can't obtain a new friend on emotions alone. I've been burned a few times, and it painful to leave a sick animal behind. The realities of vet bills and the emotional price on caretaker is very high. Hopefully my research and the time I put in will help insure success, and benefit the RF and myself.
John and Joanie

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
Brought home a new child, the RF. We named her Shelly. Thanks one and all for your generous inputs.
Happy Holidays!
John and Joanie, and of course our torts and cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.