coco coir & horsefields.. a question

jenimcsanford

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, UK
Hi, I have just changed Henrys substrate (indoor tortoise) from hemp to coco coir and he is trying to eat it?? Has anyone experienced this??

He has been on hemp since he was born (11yrs old) and he hated soil.. He seems happy enough but will it do him any harm if he eats it??

He is a eating machine :D

Thanks

Jeni

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it will.

Are you using any "colored" bulbs for heating or lighting? Like red or infra-red?

Coil type bulb for UV?

Did you make the substrate thick and hand pack it?

Do you have his favorite foods out in a couple of places to distract him from the substrate?

And finally what do you typically feed him? Often Russians that are fed mostly grocery store greens will try to eat some substrates in an apparent attempt to add fiber to their diet.

jenimcsanford

Liverpool, UK
Thanks for your advice....We have a spot light for heat (approx 30-35c) and a UV bulb (Arcadia compact with reflector)... He has salad leaves with the occasional treat of carrot, chicory, broccoli.. He seems to have stopped eating it now and is starting to dig down... It about 5" deep so not real digging level... Once I get a new house for him I am hoping to make it higher so I can make the substrate deeper!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Glad he's stopped eating it.
Perhaps he was curious because it was new but has now decided he doesn't like it.
Hope so.