Co-habbing/bioactive enclosure

Lucky The Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida I guess
I've heard of lizard, ant, and snake owners having bioactive enclosures, with animals like springtails and isopods being used to decompose waste and uneaten food. Since a lot of reptiles kept with springtails have similar temperatures and substrates as russian torts, can russians be kept in bioactive enclosures to clean waste?
Additionally, I would love to keep more animals. I have very little space for new enclosures and my parents won't let me get animals that take up more space. I was wondering if there are any animals, reptile or not, that can be safely co-habbed with russians. I'm especially interested in keeping praying mantises, and have read that leopard geckoes can be kept in near-identical enclosures to russian torts (and since one is a small, climbing insectivore and the other is a larger, terrestrial herbivore, they probably wouldn't fight or steal food.) I know I shouldn't keep Lucky with another tortoise lest they fight or mate, so any good co-habbing recommendations?
Somewhat unrelated, but my mom composts all our food waste and we have lots of roaches and worms to help decompose. When I chance lucky's bedding, would I be able to use it as compost? Thanks in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should never be mixed. You can add some isopods and see what happens, but no lizards. Russian and leopard gecko enclosure are no where near identical if either is done correctly. Totally different. Russians are also very territorial and scrappy and would likely harm the lizard.

If Lucky's bedding is something organic in nature, like orchid bark or coco coir, it would make a great addition to the mulch pile.

Lucky The Tortoise

Florida I guess
Species should never be mixed. You can add some isopods and see what happens, but no lizards. Russian and leopard gecko enclosure are no where near identical if either is done correctly. Totally different. Russians are also very territorial and scrappy and would likely harm the lizard.

If Lucky's bedding is something organic in nature, like orchid bark or coco coir, it would make a great addition to the mulch pile.

Thank you for the advice! I made an error in the previous post and meant to say crested gecko, not leopard gecko (I know they're vastly different species and crested gecks like more arboreal settings). I think there are a few places near my house that sells isopods, and springtails live in the soil near my house.
I know torts tend to change their temperament when in the presence of other animals, but Lucky has never shown signs of aggression and has only bit me twice, both when I was handling food. He's met my other pets (as well as the wild lizards and a butterfly) while I clean his enclosure and he never interacts with them. Although I do know many people buy their tortoise a companion thinking "well mine is different he's nice!" and they end up bullying and biting each other to death. Maybe I'll just clear my desk off for once and start keeping moths.