Cloth Use During Bath?

_The_Beast_

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Question: is there any additional benefit to putting a wet cloth or wet paper towel over a tortoises shell while they're soaking in the bath?

I don't currently do this, but have encountered it a few times online (mostly UK pages) and started wondering if it is just a fad or actually provides any documented benefits. I'm mostly interested in ensuring the early pyramiding my hatchling came with does not progress.

Humidity, temps, lighting, closed chamber are all already in line with the guides on this forum (such valuable resources!), so I'm confident husbandry is now solid and the months to come will show smooth growth. Asking out of curiosity.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've not seen anything about that posted on the forums but then I haven't looked so will be interested to see what replies you get.
My concern would be that it would get cold if left too long and make the tort cold because the lungs are under the top of the shell. Perhaps more of a winter problem though.
I just gently pour warm water over my tort's shell and as the water cools I bail it out and top up with warm. I let it dry naturally when I take him out and put him back under his lamps/heat.
My tort had pyramiding when I got him but I think I've managed to stop it getting worse.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used to once in a while put a wet rag on mines back. But I warmed it often by dipping it back into the warm soak water.
If you think about it, the water we soak in doesn't really go up far, so my thought was to not only warm the top shell, but get moisture to it. It for sure can't hurt.
I also would keep pouring warm water over him with my hand.
I also would drape a large towel over the whole soaking sink to hold in the warmth and warm humid air.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Question: is there any additional benefit to putting a wet cloth or wet paper towel over a tortoises shell while they're soaking in the bath?

I don't currently do this, but have encountered it a few times online (mostly UK pages) and started wondering if it is just a fad or actually provides any documented benefits. I'm mostly interested in ensuring the early pyramiding my hatchling came with does not progress.

Humidity, temps, lighting, closed chamber are all already in line with the guides on this forum (such valuable resources!), so I'm confident husbandry is now solid and the months to come will show smooth growth. Asking out of curiosity.
My view is that the top shell is very sensitive so they will feel the cloth and be stressed. The soak should be in a high sided container in warm shallow water to allow them to drink, wee,poo and exercise. You are aiming for slow smoorh growth and this us gained but correct enclosure set up and diet. In the warmer months if you can provide an outside enclosure for daytime warmth your tortoise will thrive.