closed chamber for two year old tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
my leopard tortoise is two years old, weighting around 750 grams and being 5" on the bottom and 7" on the top (very domed shell) she has slight pyramiding .but i see smooth growth coming in.

she's in a 5'-6' indoor enclosure during the winter months and rainy days and a 15'-10' outdoor enclosure usually at least 5 hours a day, everyday. at first, she would sleep in her humid shoe box but she no longer fits in it ): i bought her a bigger one and she hasn't slept in it in months. i even tried a giant tote (probably 2'-3') filled with clover as a kind of green house and she ignores it. i soak her three times a week and i keep the substrate relatively moist (usually around 40-50% humidity throughout the entire indoor enclosure)

i was just wondering if i should try harder to get her to sleep in a more humid area or just let her be. she's chosen her half log that is near the basking light as a sleeping hide.

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am confused by the thread title and the content of your thread here...? Are you wanting to know if a closed chamber is beneficial and what you are contemplating doing? or are you referring strictly to offering a warm humid hide at all times in the event your tort wants to juicy up a bit?

If the prior hide was a shoe box and now you are using a plastic tote I wonder if your tort is reacting to the plastic smell? Is the plastic tote you are using the same color as the prior loved hide? Is the new hide too large so it may not feel cozy?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I, too had trouble understanding what question you were asking so I didn't respond.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

stinax182

5 Year Member
ha, sorry guys! should i treat her as a hatchling and have more humidity throughout the entire enclosure or should i just provide a humid hide, even if she doesn't use it? I'm sure if i narrow down the amount of hides, she would choose the tote. but i like offering her 3-4 hides.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No harm in keeping the whole thing humid and warm, especially since you are still fighting old pyramiding.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I like the entire enclosure to be warm/ humid. I'd suggest doing that. Your multiple hides will all still be humid.

The outdoor time is good, too. My 5+" leopard is out all day then in a humid chamber all night.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

stinax182

5 Year Member
okay, thanks everyone! I'll cover half of the enclosure with plastic. under the basking light I'll leave open. is there any age/size where humidity is no longer an issue? or is it just as long as she is growing, which is many years from now? only because i plan to keep her outside full time during the summer months when she is older but mimicking high humidity outside is more difficult than inside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what the cut off is for leopards. Haven't figured it out yet. I'm going to estimate it at around 10".

Status
Not open for further replies.