climate for my red foots outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeek0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
Hi, I have two juvenile red foot tortoises that are living in an outdoor enclosure I made for them. But I was wondering how cold is too cold for the tortoises during the colder seasons? I live in tucson, Arizona and rightnow it is about 80 degrees during the day, and around 60 to 55 degrees at night.. their enclosure is in an area in my back yard where the sun shines on them after about 11am or 12pm till it gets dark, which is around 630 or 7pm.
please let me know if I should make them an indoor enclosure dor the colder seasons or not.
thanks

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I would say yes you should...more will come along and say what they think.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Because they are juvie's you should build an indoor tort table for them. I dont know anything about your winter climate in tuscon but you should be cautious in leaving them outside even when its just chilly. Redfoots are especially susceptible to respritory infections caused by cool temps and low humidity brought with it. I bring my juvies in when it gets in the sixties at night and dont let them go outside unless its in the seventies and only for a brief basking.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I keep the tort hut' maintained around 72-74 night time in winter months, although there is another 3x8' "hide" within the " hut" that is in the upper 80's. I also have 2 x 150w lamps around the nestbox" I have one female who always lays inside the hut'.....in the warm area of the nest box....why the extra heat is provided....."
"keep um warm"
JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.