Clams.

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
There's this great spot I go to filled with mud and musk turtles cohabitating. There are tons of clams. They eat the smaller ones, but the muskrat, coons, and mink eat the larger ones. I want to breed some to have of my own. I know you have to dig for them and they're filter feeders, but is there any way to trap them? (If not, I shall invent one! I do not want to climb down there and dig).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211102-125012_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211102-125012_Gallery.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211102_072320.jpg
    20211102_072320.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I really doubt it. Clams, most mussels really, don’t really move out and about like fish, crabs, oysters and other shell fish. They move very slowly, siphoning fresh/saltwater & pulling out food. They really don’t go in search of food (your bait).

People who raise shellfish start off by purchasing the mini-muscle - called spat, and raising it until edible size.

From wiki:

There are a variety of techniques for growing mussels.
  • Bouchot culture: Intertidal growth technique, or bouchot technique: pilings, known in French as bouchots, are planted at sea; ropes, on which the mussels grow, are tied in a spiral on the pilings; some mesh netting prevents the mussels from falling away. This method needs an extended tidal zone.
  • On-bottom culture: On-bottom culture is based on the principle of transferring mussel seed (spat) from areas where they have settled naturally to areas where they can be placed in lower densities to increase growth rates, facilitate harvest, and control predation (Mussel farmers must remove predators and macroalgae during the growth cycle).[7]
  • Raft culture: Raft culture is a commonly used method throughout the world. Lines of rope mesh socks are seeded with young mussels and suspended vertically from a raft. The specific length of the socks depends on depth and food availability.
  • Longline culture (rope culture): Mussels are cultivated extensively in New Zealand, where the most common method is to attach mussels to ropes which are hung from a rope back-bone supported by large plastic floats. The most common species cultivated in New Zealand is the New Zealand green-lipped mussel. Longline culture is the most recent development for mussel culture[7] and are often used as an alternative to raft culture in areas that are more exposed to high wave energy. A long-line is suspended by a series of small anchored floats and ropes or socks of mussels are then suspended vertically from the line.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I really doubt it. Clams, most mussels really, don’t really move out and about like fish, crabs, oysters and other shell fish. They move very slowly, siphoning fresh/saltwater & pulling out food. They really don’t go in search of food (your bait).

People who raise shellfish start off by purchasing the mini-muscle - called spat, and raising it until edible size.

From wiki:

There are a variety of techniques for growing mussels.
  • Bouchot culture: Intertidal growth technique, or bouchot technique: pilings, known in French as bouchots, are planted at sea; ropes, on which the mussels grow, are tied in a spiral on the pilings; some mesh netting prevents the mussels from falling away. This method needs an extended tidal zone.
  • On-bottom culture: On-bottom culture is based on the principle of transferring mussel seed (spat) from areas where they have settled naturally to areas where they can be placed in lower densities to increase growth rates, facilitate harvest, and control predation (Mussel farmers must remove predators and macroalgae during the growth cycle).[7]
  • Raft culture: Raft culture is a commonly used method throughout the world. Lines of rope mesh socks are seeded with young mussels and suspended vertically from a raft. The specific length of the socks depends on depth and food availability.
  • Longline culture (rope culture): Mussels are cultivated extensively in New Zealand, where the most common method is to attach mussels to ropes which are hung from a rope back-bone supported by large plastic floats. The most common species cultivated in New Zealand is the New Zealand green-lipped mussel. Longline culture is the most recent development for mussel culture[7] and are often used as an alternative to raft culture in areas that are more exposed to high wave energy. A long-line is suspended by a series of small anchored floats and ropes or socks of mussels are then suspended vertically from the line.
I know they surface around certain times of the year. I'll just have to collect some then. I used to collect them as a kid and keep them in Styrofoam coolers, but I've got an idea of what I could do.