choosing a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

schribby24

5 Year Member
Hi tortoise forum
I'm trying to decide what tortoise to get.
It's between a Russian tortoise a hermanns tortoise a Greek tortoise or a cherry head tortoise. This is what I was told, "the cherryheads need a little more humidity than the others would, and won't handle cold as well as an adult. As far as picking between the Greeks, hermanns, russian, it's really just the look of them, as they're all similar in size, care, and price. I tend to think Greeks are the prettiest, while the hermanns or Russians are a bit more active." what do you think??

-schribby24

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Based purely on personal preference, I like the redfoots the best out of that bunch. However, if you live in an area with frozen winters, then one of the hibernating species might be better.

schribby24

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Based purely on personal preference, I like the redfoots the best out of that bunch. However, if you live in an area with frozen winters, then one of the hibernating species might be better.

Thanks

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Could you provide a warm enough habitat all winter for a Red-foot? (A 'cherry-head' is mostly just a colorful Brazilian variety of Red-foot with similar cares, although they are considered more tolerant and hardy.)

They get big- 14" as adults, and do need humidity to prevent dehydration and 'pyramiding', but this is all manageable.

I know others have their own preferences, but I personally avoid Russians. Hermann's seem to have a great reputation but seem harder to find and a bit more costly.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I've had 2 russians and 2 redfoots. I prefer the redfoots personality hands down to the russians, plus I like that they're active year round (don't hibernate).

shane1111

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Could you provide a warm enough habitat all winter for a Red-foot? (A 'cherry-head' is mostly just a colorful Brazilian variety of Red-foot with similar cares, although they are considered more tolerant and hardy.)

They get big- 14" as adults, and do need humidity to prevent dehydration and 'pyramiding', but this is all manageable.

I know others have their own preferences, but I personally avoid Russians. Hermann's seem to have a great reputation but seem harder to find and a bit more costly.

why are cherry heads/ Brazilian Red-foots more tolerant? i thought they were the same as northern red foots in care?
and what makes you avoid Russians?

schribby24

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:

I have limited room for a indoor enclosure so a 14 inch redfoot would be a little big but I can easily meet all of it's requirements.
The hermanns tortoise sounds like it has great personality and is pretty small.

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
GREEK!!! I have one and love it! I don't need to hibernate it, and it will stay on the smaller side. Plus he is very pretty!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
All 4 are great, but the Europeans are quite a bit easier to keep inside during the winter, as none get much over 10", and many never get bigger than 7"...while Redfoots, as previously mentioned, get much larger, so require a bigger enclosure inside.

I prefer Hermann's, although my Iberian Greek (that I bought for dumb reasons) is kinda growing on me... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.