Choosing a tortoise and enclosure

kewp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, CA
Hi. I am looking at purchasing a tortoise in the next few weeks. I'm trying to do all my research so I get actually what I need and do not bite off more than I can chew.

The tortoises will have access to a backyard (supervised), but will also be spending time inside. The largest enclosure I can comfortably afford id 48"L x 18"H x 24"D. Which species will do well in that size set up? The shop has baby leopards, Red foots, Marginated (I really like those), Sulcatas (out of the question), and baby Russians. If absolutely necessary I can hold off a few months and try and afford the 60"L x 24"H x 24"D (but there may be a space issue with that).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Is the 48 inch enclosure a 40 gallon tank? That's too small for a permanent enclosure, especially if you're going to with a bigger tortoise like Redfoot. If possible, you can build something bigger for just as cheap (just search tortoise table on the forum).

If that really is the largest size you can go, the best bet is to build a secure enclosure outside for daytime use when it's warm so they can have more room (and you don't need to spend a ton of time supervising). There's tons of threads on easy to build outdoor enclosures and the benefits for your tortoise are uncountable.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Do not rely on outside supervision for outdoor time. Tortoises are fast when they want to be, and are escape artists. There's no way to give them the time they need outdoors while keeping an eye out. Attention wanders. You look away. You look back and they're somewhere else. You get bored. They get short changed because you can't devote the time to doing nothing else but hanging out. I know.

It's easier than you think to make a secure outdoor habitat. If its not predator proof you can bring the tortoise in at night, or have a secure night box. You can use cinderblocks or raised garden beds, or other stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a pretty nice enclosure, however, not big enough for a full grown tortoise - and 'full grown' is what one normally buys at the pet store. Because tortoises are wild animals, and do much better living outdoors, I don't think it's a good idea to spend a whole lot of money on an indoor container to use as an enclosure. The indoor habitat should be the secondary habitat, and as such it doesn't need to be expensive, just large enough and functional, so it suits the tortoise's needs. You can even buy two very large Sterilite tubs and put them together making one very large tub. Much cheaper than glass or pre-made habitats.