cherryhead rescue with plastron issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I would like to ask some advice. I have some other reptiles, a rescued RES (16 yrs) and I have two young cherryhead redfoots. One is 5 mths old and doing great; the other is an 11 month old rescue I just picked up and I am a little concerned about its plastron. It’s very rough and scarred. I was told it had been treated for shell rot before. Although I am not that experienced, I was the only one in our area that had any experience with turtles and it was not being cared for all that well….for sure. I’m not sure I can afford to keep it, but I’m going to try, and at the very least help it feel better.
Please advise,
thanks,
Jule

cherry 11 mth 1 plastron.jpgcherry 11 mth 1 head.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Jule I admit my eyes are not great, but I am not seeing anything that stands out as a concern to me. Is anything smelling, off color, or soft? Shell rot can leave permanent or atleast long term pits and off looks for even years after the fact.

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
It's very rough with some gouges and holes....no odour or anything...it just looks so rough compared to my little one

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
This tort has been fed mostly romaine with calcium from what I know...could the roughness and small holes be scars from the shell rot it had before?
Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jax7271 said:
This tort has been fed mostly romaine with calcium from what I know...could the roughness and small holes be scars from the shell rot it had before?
Thanks

Thay would be my guess as to what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.