Carrots and red bell peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.

forujade00

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My daughter's tortoise will not most of the time eat her greens or tortoise food, but will eat carrots and bell peppers. I have offered during mix, kale and weeds but she eats very little. She doesn't want to eat everyday. I am worried that she not get the proper nutrition. Any ideas?
Sent from my SCH-I545 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chop the greens up tiny. The carrots and peppers too, but just a little bigger then the greens. Spritz with water. She will have to eat the greens sticking to the carrots and peppers if she wants to eat those. As she starts excepting this and eating more greens, slowly take away the carrots and peppers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very good method to try.

If you find that it didn't work (sometimes they're smarter than us), then puree some carrots and peppers and toss the juicy puree with the cut up greens until they're all coated, and see if you can get him to eat greens that way.

forujade00

5 Year Member
Maryland
Good idea I will try both. Thank you so much.

Vader

10 Year Member!
I'm pretty new at this myself, but my tortoise didn't want to eat anything but romaine at first. I followed the advice to chop up everything very fine, and now he eats everything.
I put stuff like kale, or dandelions, carrots, hibiscus, etc., in a blender and just use the 'pulse' setting, and he'll eat it. One of those small bullet type blenders work great for this.
So in your case, you could try a little carrot ( or green pepper ) and mix it with some greens that it hasn't been eating.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
If you're worried about nutrition, you might also want to add miner-all. It's a supplement that can be used and I find it very good for my guys. Good luck!

forujade00

5 Year Member
Maryland
Tried to chop up and she would not eat it.

forujade00

5 Year Member
Maryland
Re: RE: Carrots and red bell peppers

Vader said:
I'm pretty new at this myself, but my tortoise didn't want to eat anything but romaine at first. I followed the advice to chop up everything very fine, and now he eats everything.
I put stuff like kale, or dandelions, carrots, hibiscus, etc., in a blender and just use the 'pulse' setting, and he'll eat it. One of those small bullet type blenders work great for this.
So in your case, you could try a little carrot ( or green pepper ) and mix it with some greens that it hasn't been eating.

Thank you so much Vader. I tried using the pulse feature instead of grinding her food and she ate it all. See the proof

1380241139441.jpg

Attachments

• 1380241097090.jpg
    1380241097090.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:

Vader

10 Year Member!
forujade00 said:
Thank you so much Vader. I tried using the pulse feature instead of grinding her food and she ate it all. See the proof

Hooray! :)

Glad that it's working. I was very relieved when I finally got my guy to eat too!

Status
Not open for further replies.