Carapace Scutes

satdiver

10 Year Member!
I noticed my 3.5 year old Russian Tortoise has some carapace scutes that seem to separating at the seam line. I will post some pictures this weekend, but was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this. The tortoise is active, eats well (tortoise food with calcium sprinkled on top and red leaf lettuce). Lives in outdoor habitat year round. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't think you're going to get many answers until we can see pictures of what you're concerned about. But one thing I can address is the food. Russian tortoises are browsers, eating broad leaf weeds and plants. Red leaf lettuce is ok a part of a varied diet, but it's very lacking if that's all you're feeding him.

What you're seeing as 'separating' could just be new growth, but we'll need to have pictures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree with Yvonne. If tortoise food you mean a type of pellet and red leaf lettuce, that is not enough and will cause problems later. A big variety is needed and use the calcium only a small pinch 2 to 3 times a week. To much is as bad as too little.