Can you tell me the sex of my Leo?

Xxlilcasonxx

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale AZ
Can anyone sex my tortoise? I know they aren’t great photos, if I need to take more just lmk!
IMG_9117.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9116.jpeg
    IMG_9116.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Female, but those anal scutes make it confusing. Is this a young animal? I see no plastron concavity, and the tail wold be larger if it were male. The anal scutes haven't taken the typical "U" shop of a female, but they are also not in the typical wide open "V" shape of a male.

Xxlilcasonxx

Glendale AZ
Female, but those anal scutes make it confusing. Is this a young animal? I see no plastron concavity, and the tail wold be larger if it were male. The anal scutes haven't taken the typical "U" shop of a female, but they are also not in the typical wide open "V" shape of a male.
I have no idea how old it is. I got it from a friend who was moving out of state and I’ve had it about a year. I believe there’s a little bit of concaving starting towards the pinkie and ring finger of my mom in the second photo? Not sure though

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you know how s/he has been housed? I agree with Tom. Looks female but not 100%.
I rescued a tortoise that was old enough to sex, but because it wasn't housed properly, he was very slow to mature sexually. All the guess was that it was female. But, another year later or so of proper care, she caught up to where she should have been all along and actually she turned out to be a he.
So if it wasn't property cared for with the other owner, it may be behind.
My guess now though would be female.

Xxlilcasonxx

Glendale AZ
Do you know how s/he has been housed? I agree with Tom. Looks female but not 100%.
I rescued a tortoise that was old enough to sex, but because it wasn't housed properly, he was very slow to mature sexually. All the guess was that it was female. But, another year later or so of proper care, she caught up to where she should have been all along and actually she turned out to be a he.
So if it wasn't property cared for with the other owner, it may be behind.
My guess now though would be female.
I’m not completely sure, s/he has a good amount of pyramiding but I’ve also been told that’s really common with leopards in general? But have also been told that’s a sign of poor nutrition? S/he has literally doubled in size since I got them and it’s only been about 8 months (not sure how fast they normally grow but s/he has grown so much it blows my mind lol). This was when I first got it IMG_1956.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pyramiding is due to lack of humidity. So many don't know or don't believe that they need high humidity when hatchlings. Many breeders and even vets don't have a clue.
I'm going to guess that she likely was not kept in an appropriate sized enclosure and you may need to wait until next year before s/he can be 100% sexed.
S/he is a cutie and if you get her set up properly, diet, humidity etc, she will start to grow smoother. She will always be pyramided but that's mostly just cosmetic.

Xxlilcasonxx

Glendale AZ
Sweet, thank you!:)
Pyramiding is due to lack of humidity. So many don't know or don't believe that they need high humidity when hatchlings. Many breeders and even vets don't have a clue.
I'm going to guess that she likely was not kept in an appropriate sized enclosure and you may need to wait until next year before s/he can be 100% sexed.
S/he is a cutie and if you get her set up properly, diet, humidity etc, she will start to grow smoother. She will always be pyramided but that's mostly just cosmetic.