Can they be friends ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DizzleDazzle

5 Year Member
Morning all..:) I a have a 4 year old map turtle that's a girl.. And have been given a 10 year old male, he's probably 4cm bigger in all directions. Will they be ok together in a 4ft tank?
Also he has very long back claws. How should I approach cutting them?
Thanks in advance :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
The male is probably gonna have only on interest in the female, if you know what I mean. You don't usually trim male water turtle's nails.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi DizzleDazzle:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I'm not sure about the back claws...normally its the FRONT claws of a male that are long. They use their front claws to wave them in front of the female's face and "Dazzle" her into submission, and also to hang on during breeding. I'm not familiar with the map species, so I'm not really sure if they have long rear claws or not.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
A 4ft tank is probably good for now but you will need a larger habitat eventually. The female will get approximately twice the size of the male. Rear claws on both males and females are about the same length .When you can we would like pictures of them particularly of head so we can try to id as there are about 10 different species. I have found maps make very good pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.