Can my turtle be in the sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elisabeth89

5 Year Member
Just wondering. I have a Red eared Slider. He is a baby. If it's nice outside can I bring him outside in his box of course? So like instead of his lamp he has the sun warming him and his water. I live in Southern California where the weather stays nice most of the year.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Absolutely! Just be sure that he has access to some shade in case he wants to thermo-regulate.
Natural sunshine is the best thing for our little shellbacks.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Yes! Yes! Yes! They are very happy to have some sunshine on their backs. In fact they are happiest when outside in their own ponds.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
DO NOT use a glass aquarium when taking a turtle outside. DO give them access to shade. I've seen numerous accounts of turtles dying because they were left in the sun too long without the ability to get themselves out of the sun. Supervision is best.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
We take our RES outside in the summer! I have a little above ground pond in my garden my garden with a basking log in the middle and she loves it! Like the others have said, make sure you have part of it shaded so he doesn't get too hot. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No glass aquariums, they turn into ovens very quickly.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I agree with NO GLASS.. I lost my little turtle when I was about 10... did that thinking I was doing him a favor.. and he cooked.. poor Timothy....:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.