Can my herman live with one uvb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
So crushs enclosure isnt massive compared to what some of u guys make, but my question is can he live with 1 uvb light? He used to have 2 but the smaller one on the right blew out and got to get another one, but will he be ok just with the bog one on the ledt? Let me know

Thanks

And hapoy xmas

The details of the lamp are
Exo terra
Repti glo 5.0 30"
The smaller one would b the same but 15"

So is he ok with one light? Or if he was to have 1 light should i get a 10.0? Any advice will help me guys

Attachments

• image-139457182.png
    image-139457182.png
    1 MB · Views: 90

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The "smaller" one in the photo also appears to be the basking light which produces heat for the tortoise to function normally. If this is the one that has failed it should be replaced. It actually doesn't appear to be an MVB lamp, but a halogen which doesn not produce UV anyway. The tube style UV in the photo will produce sufficient UV for the tortoise. It should be replaced about every 6 months of continuous use though. But a basking light to produce heat (90-100f under it) is absolutely essential in order for the tortoise to be active and able to digest and process it's food and vitamin D3 which aids in calcium absorbtion.
The existing UV tube would be better served if it were mounted in the middle of the enclosure and shining downward to provide more light throughout the entire enclosure. It looks pretty dark in there in the photo.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I only have one of those tube lights and a CHE in my enclosure.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Oh no he has in there a uv strip and a heat bulb... The smaller uv strip blew out so its not in the pic! Sorry pic not great crappy phone!!!
All i was asking is.. Is the big long uv light sufficiant enough or should i still also put a smaller one at opposite end lol
Im guessing it is?!? But i think im gonna get a smaller 1 aswell x

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Along with UV saturation and a basking overall light saturation is important. In other words it needs to appear as if it's daylight within the enclosure. If a good majority of the enclosure is well lit throughout the day then it should be fine. If much of it is dark and the light is only localized then more intense lighting may be necessary. The overall objective to provide adequate temperatures, light duration and light intensity to make the tortoise believe that it is in a mid summer day, thereby keeping it active.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
does your tortoise get sufficient time outdoors with natural UV?

If so, your single bulb is fine.

However, if you aren't allowing your tort to receive adequate natural UV then I suggest you have as much artificial UV lighting as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.