Can leopards eat this?

alexialawrence

5 Year Member
My leopard is 9 months old. My cousin asked if I could feed him pomegranates. I wasn't sure what the answer was, so I'm asking you guys :) can you feed a leopard tort pomegranate?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
One little bitty kernel or two won't hurt as a special treat. But not much more. As a little special day treat for a little variety for different nutrients. should be okay. You want to avoid sugars because tortoises digestive systems are simply not made for that. Too much sugars can upset the balance in their gut flora and you end up with a "bloom" that can disrupt them so much that it can make them sick or more vulnerable to parasites or bad bacteria. But as variety, as if they were strolling along and came across one and decided to try it ... just not a habit ... or daily for weeks on end during the pom season, no-nyet-nope. : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
One little bitty kernel or two won't hurt as a special treat. But not much more. As a little special day treat for a little variety for different nutrients. should be okay. You want to avoid sugars because tortoises digestive systems are simply not made for that. Too much sugars can upset the balance in their gut flora and you end up with a "bloom" that can disrupt them so much that it can make them sick or more vulnerable to parasites or bad bacteria. But as variety, as if they were strolling along and came across one and decided to try it ... just not a habit ... or daily for weeks on end during the pom season, no-nyet-nope. : )

All the more reason not to feed, specially if it's not an adult.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
And alexialawrence, you may be amazed at how smart our tortoises can be. You may decide to place a teeny weeny seed or two and think your tortoise will eat and more often than not, they are not interested anyhow. It's called instinct and its amazing how in tune animals are to it sometimes. I offer teeny weeny bits of things as I prepare meals (one for me, little bitty for you) and most times they walk around it. Wow. As if they just know.