Can I put fish with my turtles?

riley_bla41000

Okay so I'm getting a 55 gallon tank for my red eared sliders and I was wondering If I could add fish in with them? And if I can what kind of fish? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most of the time a turtle will not expend too much energy chasing fish. If the fish is slow or injured he will be gobbled up in an instant.

Goldfish are usually dosed with copper sulfate, which can be harmful to turtles.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
They will catch and eat those fish, no matter what you put in there. I used to feed my turtles all sorts of different fish and none are safe from the jaws of a hungry turtle.

riley_bla41000

Thanks everyone for talks answers! I was wanting to put them in there to add color, but I'll start getting fish for the turtles to eat!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
lol we don't buy fish to often but when we do Myrtle wipes them out in an hour. There is always one lone survivor who lasts a few months. It must be the smartest in school :)

Randi

Canada
Zebra danios and guppies, mollies and platies. There are a lot more. Avoid goldfish for reasons mentioned above as well as I noticed they are quite nippy. They are also extremely messy. Rosy minnows that are sold as feeders are dosed with copper sulfate as well so pick carefully. Glass or Ghost shrimp are yummy but don't live long as they are quite sensitive to water changes.

Be careful of catfish. They are barbed and if those barbs are eaten, they are venomous and can do damage. If looking for cleaners, Chinese Algae Eaters or Siamese Algae Eaters. I find Plecos to be lazy and messy. Most species are quite large too and may become opportunistic feeders with smaller fish in the tank, heh. They are nocturnal so they'd eat other fish while they sleep if it'll fit in their mouth.

riley_bla41000

Zebra danios and guppies, mollies and platies. There are a lot more. Avoid goldfish for reasons mentioned above as well as I noticed they are quite nippy. They are also extremely messy. Rosy minnows that are sold as feeders are dosed with copper sulfate as well so pick carefully. Glass or Ghost shrimp are yummy but don't live long as they are quite sensitive to water changes.

Be careful of catfish. They are barbed and if those barbs are eaten, they are venomous and can do damage. If looking for cleaners, Chinese Algae Eaters or Siamese Algae Eaters. I find Plecos to be lazy and messy. Most species are quite large too and may become opportunistic feeders with smaller fish in the tank, heh. They are nocturnal so they'd eat other fish while they sleep if it'll fit in their mouth.

I used to have three fish aquariums of fish and the Chinese algae eater cleaned the algae WAY better than plecos

Randi

Canada
Yes, agreed. Chinese Algae Eaters are also very fast swimmers so it'd be unlikely that they would become a meal. I have them in my turtle tank and I have no algae. They also do a great job cleaning my live plants.

Oh and if you want a feeder fish, I'd do baby convict cichlids. Cheap, easy to find - they breed like mad. As adults they get quite large, 6", so I'd feed them off as babies. I buy them when they are a few weeks old and I put them in his feeding tub. They are all gone lol.

Last edited:

riley_bla41000

Yes, agreed. Chinese Algae Eaters are also very fast swimmers so it'd be unlikely that they would become a meal. I have them in my turtle tank and I have no algae. They also do a great job cleaning my live plants.

Oh and if you want a feeder fish, I'd do baby convict cichlids. Cheap, easy to find - they breed like mad. As adults they get quite large, 6", so I'd feed them off as babies. I buy them when they are a few weeks old and I put them in his feeding tub. They are all gone lol.

Yeah I'll be sure to buy those! I also like Chinese algae eaters because I find them a lot prettier than plecos.