Can anyone help sex my tortoises?

kaytis

I have 2 new tortoises and wondered if anyone could help tell me the sex I have photos and they are 6years 8 months old

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89

kaytis

Male or female

Here is my other tortoise can some one help and tell me the sex

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Can anyone help

For some reason, when thumb nails open on my computer from side-to-side instead of from top to bottom, the opened picture is stretched and I can't get a good view of the tortoise. However, of your two tortoises, the first picture is deff. male and the second picture is female. Please tell me what species they are so I can move this thread to the appropriate section.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Looks like a male on top and a female on bottom but I can't be sure with the one on the bottom. To blurry.

kaytis

Can any one help

I have 2 new tortoises age 6 y and can anyone help and tell me what sex they r please ImageUploadedByTortForum1396905244.421542.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1396905278.432233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kaytis

RE: Can anyone help

Yvonne G said:
For some reason, when thumb nails open on my computer from side-to-side instead of from top to bottom, the opened picture is stretched and I can't get a good view of the tortoise. However, of your two tortoises, the first picture is deff. male and the second picture is female. Please tell me what species they are so I can move this thread to the appropriate section.

Thankyou I think there hermens but the one u say is female is mounting the male is this normal

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's normal. She might be ready to lay eggs, they sometimes do that at those times.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Females when gravid, will mount and sometimes even attack males to let them know to stay the heck away from me until I pass these eggs.

kaytis

Saleama said:
Females when gravid, will mount and sometimes even attack males to let them know to stay the heck away from me until I pass these eggs.
Hi so u saying my female may be pregnant ? I thought they don't mate till they r aleast 10 y ? I'm new to all this

RGB

5 Year Member
The ability to reproduce is more based upon size. Your pair (definitely a male and female) look large enough. Although most require to be at least 6-7 years old as well.
Tortoises will mount as a sign of aggression such as showing dominance. It seems my females will mount other females for a few days and then settle down... Hormonal?? And sometimes it is associated with being gravid.
Best of luck!