Can a DT lose pyramiding?

AZGirl

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi all,

My Parker escaped my yard in May, the day after Mother’s Day. I have had flyers and ads everywhere, notified all the proper people. Yesterday, I thought he was found. Someone found a tort of similar size, def DT, but his shell is smooth. Parker had mild pyramiding. Is it possible for pyramids to be ‘worn down’ at all? They are so close in size, it’s incredible coincidence this was found in my smaller town of Prescott in a developed area about a mile and half away from my house. Are there any other ways to differentiate two torts of same species and size. This one looks a tad smaller than Parker, as well, but only slight.. But, after 10 weeks, it is hard. I didn’t think pyramiding could go away. @Yvonne G @Tom

I will try to post comparison pics. Also, this tort seems tame, but I tried to soak it right away after the girls who found him gave to me, he wanted nothing to do with soak. Parker loved daily soaks. I also need to try to identify see, but need to look up how as it’s been a while. Parker is 8 yo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No tortoise's shell ever loses its pyramiding. It starts to look less as he grows over the years, but it's always there.

Identifying is one VERY GOOD reason to take pictures of your tortoise. And the picture should include a family member for real proof of ownership.

AZGirl

Arizona
Hi all,

My Parker escaped my yard in May, the day after Mother’s Day. I have had flyers and ads everywhere, notified all the proper people. Yesterday, I thought he was found. Someone found a tort of similar size, def DT, but his shell is smooth. Parker had mild pyramiding. Is it possible for pyramids to be ‘worn down’ at all? They are so close in size, it’s incredible coincidence this was found in my smaller town of Prescott in a developed area about a mile and half away from my house. Are there any other ways to differentiate two torts of same species and size. This one looks a tad smaller than Parker, as well, but only slight.. But, after 10 weeks, it is hard. I didn’t think pyramiding could go away. @Yvonne G @Tom

I will try to post comparison pics. Also, this tort seems tame, but I tried to soak it right away after the girls who found him gave to me, he wanted nothing to do with soak. Parker loved daily soaks. I also need to try to identify see, but need to look up how as it’s been a while. Parker is 8 yo.
This is Parker just after brumation this year. You can see his pyramiding.
The second two are the ‘found’ tort.

Attachments

• IMG_6300.jpeg
    IMG_6300.jpeg
    708.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6619.jpeg
    IMG_6619.jpeg
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6621.jpeg
    IMG_6621.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

AZGirl

Arizona
No tortoise's shell ever loses its pyramiding. It starts to look less as he grows over the years, but it's always there.

Identifying is one VERY GOOD reason to take pictures of your tortoise. And the picture should include a family member for real proof of ownership.
Thank you, @Yvonne G. That’s what I was thinking. I did post some pics here, but this new guy is just too smooth to be my Parker. He won’t eat & doesn’t seem to want water. AZ has been dry so weeds are not yet plentiful in my yard. I could take him/her out to an open area and see if it will graze. I don’t think it is wild bc it seems totally ok with handling. We are 5300’ so, it borders the end of DT range, high desert.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some tortoises get fixated on a certain food or type of food and don't recognize other food items as edible. Try offering him some romaine or endive. He'll come around eventually.