Calcium Rich Tortoise Food

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
One of our original members posted this for us several years ago. With all the new people we have now I thought it might be a good idea to revive it:

Calcium-rich tortoise cubes​

4 Centrum vitamin tablets
6 oz Lifetime liquid Calcium Magnesium Citrate (I prefer the blueberry flavor, the smell is quite strong)
2 tbsp Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-All
1 10 oz can of kale
1 4 oz Butternut Squash babyfood
4 oz distilled water
2 packets Knox gelatin

Heat about 2 oz of the water to boiling, and add 4 tablets of Centrum to it to start dissolving. In a blender, combine the canned kale, Lifetime calcium, squash, and Miner-All. Blend it together until it is a liquid. Add the dissolved Centrum and mix it in thoroughly.

Pour the mixture out of the blender and into a bowl. Heat the remaining water to boiling and stir in the gelatin until it is dissolved. Pour into the blended mixture and stir THOROUGHLY.

Line a cookie sheet with plastic wrap. Make sure the wrap goes up the sides. Pour the gel mixture into the cookie sheet, and tap it on the counter to level and settle it. Place it into the refrigerator and allow it to set up.

You can cut it into strips and cubes once it is set. For storage, cut it into larger squares and layer with pieces of wax paper, wrap in plastic wrap or in a freezer bag and freeze. You can take out a small portion at a time and defrost.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I think it would be good @Yvonne G to give an indication of how many portions this is. That seems like a very concentrated recipe which could be easily over-done depending on the type of tortoise. Mine could probably eat that volume of food in one sitting but I would not want to give them 4 human vitamin tablets 😂

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, you cut it into strips and cubes, and then only feed a cube or two at a time, not the whole thing.