Calcium powder routine help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Hi I wondered if you could help me work out a good routine for my horsefield tortoise with having a powdered calcium supplement on her food and what type I should get?

Thank you
Rebecca

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Two times a week is enough, with a good varied diet. I don't know which is really the best.

Also, put a cuttlebone in with him. Of he eats on that a lot, you really don't need to add more.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
He completely ignores cuttlefish bone all he ever did with it was once he dragged it over to the light put it at an angle

I have got nutrobal is that any good?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I doubt any retail product is "bad", the question is how much bio-availability will it have. Not all are created equal.
When I adopted Larry, he came with a tub of ReptiCal. Both my torts will eat leafy greens with it sprinkled on top, so I'm thrilled. Even if its poor quality, the fact that they willingly eat it is half the battle. Larry seems to be in excellent health, so it can't be too terrible. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old and what sex?

Adult males with a good diet really don't need any "extra". I would just leave a cuttle bone out for them. Egg laying adult females might need a pinch two or three times a week in and around laying season. Same for growing babies.

I use either the Rep-Cal, the ZooMed, or Miner-All.

Rramagge

5 Year Member
Well my one is about 6 and is female
The on that has been very unwell and i trying to save we have been told is deficient in calcium think its older than my one but not certain on the sex I think it's female but the actual owners said they where told that its a male

Ok I think I going tho get one of those coz just want to get something others use a lot nd know it works :)
Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.