Calcium for our Russian

CaviLyn

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Help with some clarification on how our Russian could/should get Calcium..

Should I offer her both a Cuttlefish and in addition do power? or if she likes a Cuttlefish is that good enough?

Thanks in advance.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Cuttlebone is enough for a healthy animal.

There is some disagreement, I'm sure. They don't actually like powder, so it has to be sprinkled sparingly if used. For an animal with increased calcium need, both should/could be used.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My Russian tortoise has not touched a cuttlebone for the year and a half I have had her. But she doesn't mind it sprinkled on the food, go figure I guess they're all different. She especially likes it sprinkled on cactus :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I personally always have a cuttlebone in the enclosure even if they don't eat it it is cheap and maybe someday they will discover it. You can always supplement with calcium powder until then. I actually scrape the cuttlebone onto the food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Help with some clarification on how our Russian could/should get Calcium..

Should I offer her both a Cuttlefish and in addition do power? or if she likes a Cuttlefish is that good enough?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a male or female?

What age and size?

I would leave cuttlebone out for any Russian of any size, sex, or age. For an adult male I wouldn't supplement much at all. Maybe a couple of times a month. For an egg laying female or a growing baby I'd supplement two or three times a week with the powder and still leave the cuttle bone too.

CaviLyn

Minnesota
Female. They thought she was between 2 & 3 years old. We got her from a Pet store (which we now know was not the best idea).