Burmese Mountain Tortoise enclosure temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jridge716

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
tortadise said:
The way to tell is the pectoral scutes. On the plastron(underside or belly) of the animal. Blacks have connected pectoral scutes, and Browns do not. Blacks do get quite large. Adults 65-90 pounds(90 being massive but have been recorded that heavy) 20-24" is typical for a black adult female, males tend to be a little smaller. Browns get around 40 pounds, males being a bit smaller. 18" is pretty good size brown. I will look through my files and try to find a photo of the difference to post for yah.

Thanks alot! Side by side pics would be awesome. Yea those Blacks are giants, they sure would dwarf my Bolivian Redfoot lol..

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
These are Browns. See the pectoral scutes and how they just are barely making there way to the center of the plastron. The blacks will connect. Still looking for through the photos for the Black.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
Seems like you can also tell because the browns have a little yellow on there plastrons as well.

jridge716

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
What do you guys think about putting hatchlings about 5 months old in an outdoor pen for the summer? Are they too small? It is 6ft x 6ft with screened top and lattice for filtered sun.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sounds good just make sure there is a lot of shade and plants help a lot, and I alway laid down a layer of soil and moss to help humidity

jridge716

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
Millerlite said:
Sounds good just make sure there is a lot of shade and plants help a lot, and I alway laid down a layer of soil and moss to help humidity

Ok cool. Thanks

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Also mine loved hills and mounds in the enclosure instead of just flat. And hides

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
My baby brown Ponce is now 10 months (got him from Vic at 20 days). He has lived outside on our screened porch in his table enclosure since we brought him home except for 3 nights during the winter in South Florida. He has more than tripled in size and is over 120 grams but I still would not put him in an outdoor enclosure until he at least doubles again and could not be easily carried off by a dog or coyote. If your enclosure is well screened and fortified then fine. Otherwise I'd wait for him to be a yearling or better before leaving him outdoors. JMHO,
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.