Burmese Brown vs Redfoot...desicions decisions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyla

5 Year Member
If there arent any other tortoises that meet or dont exceed the personality/weight/size that the Burmese Brown or redfoot do, I think these two species are what Ive narrowed my possibilities down to.

Permitting I get the AOK from the landlady...

I want to hear stories! Funny things your tortoise has done.

Anyone have both? Pros and cons?

Im terrible at making decisions...help me out :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I have never had a brown or black, but many of reds, they are great!

dnodtw.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Landlady? how long do you plan to stay? when you move, can you take the tort with you? I know life is unceratain.. but I would wait on getting one that will need a large outdoor area, until you have a place of your own.
If you get a young one, you will ahve a few years..

Skyla

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Landlady? how long do you plan to stay? when you move, can you take the tort with you? I know life is unceratain.. but I would wait on getting one that will need a large outdoor area, until you have a place of your own.
If you get a young one, you will ahve a few years..

:) We are actually renting the house from my boyfriend's mother. We're honestly waiting for him to finish school before getting married. We're staying here until then and then we are moving out to Montana and building our own house.

Life IS uncertain and things can always get messed up along the way but we have a pretty good plan and are saving up for the future. I've already commited to a life of large pets - large fish, large lizard, a dog (though not very large himself by dog standards still needs a lot of space) and if we do need to rent again at another place we WILL be getting another house.

I definitely wouldnt be jumping into this if I didnt feel I was ready for it, now and in the future. :)

Torty Mom said:
This is easy!!! Do you have 1 purse? Of course not! So why have 1 tortie!! :p Sorry I'm no help! :D

No you certainly are not! Enabler! ENABLER!!!! Hahaha

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
My sister in law's first tort was a redfoot. She lives down the street from me and this one little red foot gave our whole family tort fever. So even though I have a Leo, I would like to vote for a redfoot because her little Ruby is sweet and cute as can be.

Skyla

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
My sister in law's first tort was a redfoot. She lives down the street from me and this one little red foot gave our whole family tort fever. So even though I have a Leo, I would like to vote for a redfoot because her little Ruby is sweet and cute as can be.

:) Thank you. I really am torn. I think its going to come down to which one I fall in love with at the reptile expo.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My experience with the two so far is my Redfoots (especially the Cherryheads) are by far the prettier ones. Also the easiest to find for sale. I find my three emys to be much friendlier.

If your going to get what you see at the Expo, you are no doubt going to come home with a Redfoot/Cherryhead.:D

Skyla

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
My experience with the two so far is my Redfoots (especially the Cherryheads) are by far the prettier ones. Also the easiest to find for sale. I find my three emys to be much friendlier.

If your going to get what you see at the Expo, you are no doubt going to come home with a Redfoot/Cherryhead.:D

Its the biggest expo in new england so Im hoping to find both. "Pretty-ness" really isnt a factor for me. Im looking more for personality so if I find a redfoot thats all over the place and curious then yeah, that will be who I take home but if I DO see an emrys it will be quite difficult to choose.

Skyla

5 Year Member
so I got the aok from landlady/mother-in-law for the tortoise! All I had to do was show her a cute picture. Who knew she loved tortoises? And I definitely have my heart set on the burmese brown. If I can't find one at the expo Ill be back to ask advice on having one shipped safely to me. I'M SO EXCITED!!!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
EXCELLENT choice! You will not be disappointed. I don't know where you live now but once you and the little fellar get to Montana you're going to have to work on a humid environment when he's indoors during the Winter months.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Skyla, if you are not already aware, the Burmese Mountain Torts (black & brown) are much more delicate as juveniles than redfoots. I'm not trying to dissuade you from a Mee but they require a good deal more care in terms of humidity requirements among other things and are not as forgiving of husbandry errors as are redfoots. Just thought you should know when comparing with something almost bullet-proof like a redfoot.

Skyla

5 Year Member
HLogic said:
Skyla, if you are not already aware, the Burmese Mountain Torts (black & brown) are much more delicate as juveniles than redfoots. I'm not trying to dissuade you from a Mee but they require a good deal more care in terms of humidity requirements among other things and are not as forgiving of husbandry errors as are redfoots. Just thought you should know when comparing with something almost bullet-proof like a redfoot.

I was not aware so I thank you. Theres not as much info available as many other torts so Im relying heavily on what I learn here.

I am, however, confident in my ability to care for a more fragile animal. I have much experience in animal husbandry. From my own personal experiences with various pets and wild animal rescues to even more exotic care of various animals at the Beardsley zoo.

I certainly wouldnt be investing as much financially if I wasnt prepared to take on the challenge.

As far as Montana is concerned, bring it on :) Id be moving close to where my father lives and that man is GIFTED when it comes to building what you dream. I could come up with anything to care for my baby and daddy dearest would jump in with as much excitment as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.