Bubbles coming out

Location (City and/or State)
India
i have an indian star tort. she is of 1 and 1/2 years. From few days i am observing that whenever she eats anything in between bubbles come out from her nose. :(
please help!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this the only time you see bubbles? Please give us a run down of everything you can think of. Temps, humidity, substrate, how often you do soaking, etc.

India
Yup. Other time she enjoys her environment. I soak her in normal water once a day. Temperature is the same which suits her.. [FACE WITH COLD SWEAT]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Temperature is the same as what? What are your four temperatures and how are you heating and lighting this tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your four temperatures? Basking spot, warm side, cool side, and night?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you share the details here it helps others learn, too

I agree, there are a huge variety of very skilled, knowledgable folks throughout this Forum.....you really do limit yourself only one opinion otherwise....I hope your tort does well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom I sent a PM to you about the details..

In your PM you only told me how hot your country gets and how cold. We need to know the actual temperatures INSIDE your tortoises enclosure.

The bubbles you are seeing are an indicator of a respiratory infection. This is typically cause by temps that are too cold, or the lack of an ability to warm up enough during the day. Right now your tortoise seems to be doing okay, but this could take a turn for the worse at any time. The application of proper heating and lighting could save the day.

India
I don't have enclosures that I have seen in all forums.
She roams in garden in the morning. She warms herself in sunlight. And after that I keep her in her enclosure. As room temperature stays 34 centigrade throughout the year, there is no ceramic bulb or any kind of artificial light. I bought her in January'13 and problem started in January'14. She had no such problems like bubbles.
I keep her once a day for soaking and feed her twice.
She seems happy.
This is how I pet her.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am jealous that your temps remain 34 c all of the time.....I love warm weather....and that is a great temp for the tort as well. At night where does the tort remain and what to your night temps go to?

What does the enclosure floor look like? Is the floor of the enclosure concrete or tile?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Out in the garden sounds great.

You told me that it gets down to 20, and that is where your problem lies. In your indoor enclosure, with no way to warm up, if night temps are dropping that low, you will have found your problem.

India
Ascott if you visit in central India in summer you would never come here.. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE] outdoor temperature reaches till 48 centigrade in summer.
And night temperature goes down to 23 nearby. And enclosure floor is tile but I have added layers of cardboard and newspapers which keeps her warm. Going to make a new enclosure soon.

Tom I am going to buy incandescent bulb suggested by you for night. Let me know what more is needed in the night for my tort.

In addition while sleeping in night I tuck her in thick piece of cloth. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need it dark at night, so if you can't get a ceramic heating element there, then try to get a black incandescent bulb.

Cardboard, newspaper or other substrates do nothing to keep a dry skinned ectotherm warm. Use a temp gun and you will see this. Temp the area with cardboard and an area without in the morning and it will be roughly the same. Likewise the pice of cloth might slightly slow down heat loss, but it does nothing to keep the tortoise warm since they do not generate their own heat.

India
OK. Thanks tom. I'll surely work on this and then would update about her health. [WHITE SMILING FACE][TURTLE]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
outdoor temperature reaches till 48 centigrade in summer.
And night temperature goes down to 23 nearby.

Ahhh, I love the high heat....it is crazy though the huge day to night temp drop...like 50 f drop....

I would say that if your tort is experiencing this type of temp fluctuation daily and the enclosure flooring is tile----I can see there may be the reason for the wet nose....see, if the tort were outside in conditions natural to it and the area---the tort would acclimate and do what it did in the wild ( I am guessing at one time this tort was likely wild?) also, if the tort was wild and then put in a captive environment it takes A LONG LONG time for the tort to acclimate, stress is high especially during this time and stress can also cause the immune system to drop some and show itself in the form of a runny nose...not necessarily an ill tort...

While the cardboard does offer a buffer (it allows the immediate cold from the tile to be buffered by the cardboard--but does not stop it) and wrapping the tort in a blanket makes the human feel good :)D), remember you are dealing with a reptile---and a reptile does not generate body heat on their own--this is the reason in the wild they are active during warmer times and when the coolness sets in they will almost become inactive for the most part...

So, perhaps if you have a way to warm the tort and the ground the tort lives on then you will likely find the runny nose stop....since the tort is inside on tile the tort will need you to help it keep warmth so its immune system can be in full active mode....

In the winter months there what type of heating do you use in your home?

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Tom that the tort is getting too cold and does not have a way to warm up. Get it up off the floor and in some kind of container with a black light for heat at night. They are not warm blooded animals like we are. They need to have the option of getting under a warming light if cold and if you watch it, it will move under the light and away from the light and back again trying to keep it's body temperature steady.
If it has the respiratory long enough it will quit eating and then you'll be in trouble. Good luck with it

India
Ascott that is why I let roam in the garden for a long time for her natural environment. And I am going to buy ceramic heating element plus incandescent bulb in the night.
I got what you said. Reptiles are cold blooded and they cannot generate heat from themselves. Thanks a lot..

And in winter months we don't use any kind of heating. Temperature never falls below 20(room temperature).

Thanks Maggie. I am going to buy all those things needed for her in the night.

Could anyone upload pic of ceramic heating element and incandescent bulb. It would make my work easy.[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]