Bryum Moss?

HaliNZilla

Hello Forum!
I've recently adopted a sulcata hatchling almost a month ago & everything has been going great! Most of my questions I've been able to research but I'm stuck on this one. I've been wanting to experiment with ways to keep her house/hiding place moist. I have seen plenty of posts suggesting peat moss but saw certain responses that said it sticks to everything, and Zilla eats pretty much anything that isnt as dark as her bedding, so I went into my backyard (which is completely natural & vertilizer free) and found some pretty green, thick moss. I cleaned it very well but as a protective mother of this tort, and knowing she will most likely try to chew on it, I wanted to know if it was alright for her in certain spots to keep her moist. I did some research and its Bryum moss but could not find anything to do with tortoises regarding that type of moss.
Thanks in advanced,
Hali

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I do not think you will have an issue....please do keep the temps in the enclosure/moist area no lower than 80 degrees day and night....you do not want the moist area to get cool , cool and moist = an ailing tort, warm and moist aok

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Most moss if perfectly OK for tortoises to eat... Dried log moss is great too, keeps moisture in the air, and is totally edible.