Brand New Tortoise Cage! Ideas?

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Recently, a tortoise cage was built for me for my 2 year old Leopard Tortoise. Until now, I have been using a cement mixing tub, which has been fine, until he started getting bigger. Now, Scutes (The Tortoise) has a bigger cage that he can do more stuff in. But so far, I only have the necessities from the much smaller tub (Food Bowl, Water Bowl, Half Log, basking rock). And when it arrived today, I realized that I'm going to have a LOT more space for things for Scutes to do in the pen. The cage is about 3 feet by 5 feet, and about 8 inches high, so a pretty good amount of space. I'd like some suggestions for some (cheap) things that I could do with the cage that would keep Scutes busy and happy! I'd love to hear what you all have to say! Thanks! :)

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I would suggest plants or even some rocks to mix up the terrain a little bit

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can put in some site barriers so that he can't see from one end to the other. Make Hills out of the substrate so he can walk up and down. You can mounds of dirt up and over the log and make him a tunnel. You can use flowerpots late on their side and full of substrate as hides. Give him some moss to crawl around in. Make a little area or path of large pebbles he could walk across. You can also put rocks or pebbles around the water bowl to keep it cleaner. Plants are great, I love plants :)

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Plants! ALoe Vera plants are cheap and easy to come by and my tortoise loves em. I plant seeds of things he likes to eat, like clover or dandelion in margarine or yogourt tubs outside the enclosure and once they are grown I sink them into the substrate for him to nibble.

Also hills and valleys, tunnels even. Make a pile of rocks for him to climb. Buy a pice of driftwood, or find something similar and embed it in your substrate. I keep one right by where my tortoise basks and he enjoys resting his head on it and climbing over it.