Box turtle substrate

Bear2023

Location (City and/or State)
USA Oklahoma
Hey! What is the best (inexpensive) substrate for a three toed box turtle? I am currently using this organic potting soil for her, is that okay?

Any advice welcome! A2D52FEE-D3C1-4B3F-9A8B-861512427A6C.jpeg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Orchid Bark or Coco Coir. Topsoil is not good to use. You should be able to buy Orchard Bark in bullk at places like home depot. Coco Coir you can get in condensed bricks online

Bear2023

USA Oklahoma
Orchid Bark or Coco Coir. Topsoil is not good to use. You should be able to buy Orchard Bark in bullk at places like home depot. Coco Coir you can get in condensed bricks online
Thank you! We
Thank you! I live in a small town with pretty much just a Walmart, is there something I could get there? Thank you!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I would be surprised if Walmart has, but unfortunately I don't know. I am going to suspect online may be your only option but hopefully someone else can help

Bear2023

USA Oklahoma
You could buy a bag of cypress mulch for under $4.00 and use that. It works quite well.
Okay! Thank you! What is the problem with soil? Do you think it would be hard for her to adjust to the new stuff because she has had soil her whole life?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The soil has all kinds of stuff mixed into it that is not meant to be ingested by any animal. Not advised as a tortoise substrate.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Okay! Thank you! What is the problem with soil? Do you think it would be hard for her to adjust to the new stuff because she has had soil her whole life?
The soil you have been using might be acceptable if it has no vermiculite, perlite, or small pebbles in it which could be ingested either accidentally or purposely by your turtle and give it an intestinal blockage. If you've been using the same stuff for three years with no troubles, there is probably no reason to stop using it (assuming you know the possible problems some soils have caused other owners).