Black eyed peas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
I didnt really find anything about torts eating peas, or beans. My hubby whipped up some organic black eyed peas.. and soaked them in water till they were soft enough for Ted to eat.. he seems to like them and i know green beans are good for them.. so i was wondering what about black eyed peas? I didnt find any toxicity about them, and they are organic so i figured why not?

Let me know if i made a huge mistake haha (oh i didnt give him a bunch of them either, about 10 beans)

I know potatoes are really tough for a lil guy to eat, for any tort to eat i would imagine it would be a pain in the butt to eat a raw potato, but the greens that grow on the surface should be good right? (me and hubby organically grow a lot of our foods, so we are trying to get an idea on what he can eat that i dont already know for sure) Ted absolutely loved the potato greens, and i would love to feed him more!

Also... i heard mushrooms were okay, so i fed him some portabellas, but his body didnt digest them when he pooped the next day, so i dotn think they are good to feeds torts.. though he did LOVE them, he wont be getting anymore.

One more thing! haha Why are broccoli crowns bad for sullys? i know the leaves are okay.. but i figure it would be the whole plant too? I fed him a little bit (hubby bough some broccoli and never ate it) It was flowering a little bit but mostly green, and i thought certain flowers were good for them?

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I don't think sully's are supposed to have peas because they contain protein. I could be wrong but I believe I read somewhere about peas and beans being bad for them but ask around to make sure :)

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
black eyed peas are super high in fiber, only reason i gave them to him haha but if they are bad then he wont be getting any more! thanks for the imput (i forgot about the protien part, oops =[

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Hey I'm still a newbie at this but I'm learning really fast :D now if your tort were a redfoot I'd say go ahead but it's ur call lol unfortunately if he/she LIKED the peas then he/she may get mad at u for taking them away :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everything I've read tells you to limit the amount of legumes fed to tortoises. Peas and beans are legumes. However, if you go to your favorite search engine and only put in "legumes - tortoise" you come up with many, many articles that tell you all the different types of tortoises that eat grasses and legumes. So maybe my answer was wrong.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Everything I've read tells you to limit the amount of legumes fed to tortoises. Peas and beans are legumes.

That is right! I did not know they couldn't have peas though, I figured since they had protein it would be ok. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they don't digest well?

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
haha ted gets mad when i stopped giving him mushrooms and when my hubby took one out of his mouth cuz i told him not to feed them to him anymore, ted stomped into his house and didnt come out the rest of the day LOL pain in the butt :p

emysemys - this was the first time.. and if people say its a nono.. then he wont be getting anymore haha so dont worry =] i just gave him a little bit! i know they are high in fiber, but the protien part slipped my mind, so i wont be feeding them to him often anyways.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
mine does, im not sure about anybody elses torts, but i know they all have their personalities! and Ted has a big one, a REALLY big one.. when he gets angry he stomps around and stuff, hes really loud lol hes really funny like that, but yes.. he really pouts like that, after i give him fruit or something.. the next day he will expect it again, and when its not there, or there are no treats he will stomp all over his food and make a huge mess of it, then go into his house and sit in there staring out for a few hours.. and he will realize that im not going to give him any, and then he will eat the mess he made lol

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I'm getting a Dalmatian Hermann's and a Sulcata :D

Ha too CUTE! I especially love the one with Cindy Lauper playing in the background :p girls just wanna have fun!!

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
aww :D i know i dont have to ask to post pics when you get them because im sure you will! haha when are you getting them?

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Well the Dalmatian Hermann's wont be available for shipment till March 5th due to cold weather :'( and my Sully just hatched so at least another couple weeks for her as well :'( and I must say this waiting is KILLING ME lol!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Historically all the references will tell you that legumes are bad for tortoises because they are high in protein. There was/is a myth that protein causes pyramiding. It does not. There are tortoises all over that live near farmers fields and eat legumes. I remember reading about star tortoises and the bean fields in India. I feed all sorts of legumes to my sulcatas and leopards, but only once in a while. They might see a small amount of legumes mixed in with other stuff twice a month on average. I've been reading more and more about the diets of wild tortoises and the more I read the more I realize that they are opportunists. My new book says that wild sulcatas eat carrion at every opportunity. Not just meat, but rotting meat. I'm not going to test this theory, but... I think some black eyes peas once in a while are fine.

Potato leaves are NOT fine. They are very toxic. Tomato leaves too. Do not let them have access to potato leaves at any time.

Mushrooms are fine too. Any that are edible for humans. Again small amounts as part of a meal, mixed in with other foods. If you feed an entire meal of mushroom to any tortoise that is not used to it, it will definitely mess with their GI tract. Really any food they are not used to can do this.

Broccoli is not bad for sulcatas. TOO MUCH broccoli is bad for any tortoise or humans too. It is a goiterin. Same thing. Small amounts mixed in once in a while are just fine.

The bulk of a sulcatas diet should be a variety of grasses and weeds. If you use 90% grass and weeds, the other 10% can be just about anything edible and its not going to matter a lot. I hope this doesn't start some big debate, its just that I've seen tortoises fed all sorts of "wrong" foods and do just fine. A few peas are not going to hurt a thing.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
okay, well ill have to stop giving him potatoes leaves then lol thanks for that.. and he loved them sooo much. and they were sooooooo! easy to grow! damn! haha thanks a lot :D

Status
Not open for further replies.