DSC03662.jpg

DSC03664.jpg

DSC03667.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Ahhh! He's adorable and the humidity in his home looks great. How old is he? My son Alexander likes his big eyes. Candy:p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I love your viv., but instead of a heat "light", why don't you put a heat emitter in there and you could eliminate some bright light?

superpooper

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Ahhh! He's adorable and the humidity in his home looks great. How old is he? My son Alexander likes his big eyes. Candy:p

I'm not really sure how old he is. I think he may be around 8 months? Someone tell me if they know haha.

terryo said:
I love your viv., but instead of a heat "light", why don't you put a heat emitter in there and you could eliminate some bright light?

I also considered this. I heard these bulbs give out in a few months, and when it does, the ceramic heater (which are supposed to last forever) will come in. :D

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
superpooper said:
can anyone tell at this age what sex Bill is?

Bill looks like he was hatched last year. As for guessing at sex, not for another year or two at least. Probably more. The shape of the anal scutes can change quite a bit as they grow.

carrilac

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
What’s on the bottom of his aquarium? It looks like some sort of beads and water covered with moss- very cool!

superpooper

5 Year Member
carrilac said:
What’s on the bottom of his aquarium? It looks like some sort of beads and water covered with moss- very cool!

Thanks carrilac. They are LECA(light expanded clay aggregate), absorbent clay beads that double the surface area for anaerobic bacteria and hold lots of water. It also lets water drain from the dirt so its not too moist. Keeps the humidity up, without the mold!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Are those clay beads easy to use? I may invest in some for my bps....The coconut coir isn't keeping the humidity as high as i would like...

Do you have a screen over them as well, or just put your substrate right on top?

superpooper

5 Year Member
Hey Meg90, super easy, you can order them online as leca or hydroton. just rinse and put on the bottom. I fill the water level up to the top of them, then place a cage liner cut to size, then my coconut coir. Then occasionally, I'll water the plants and overfill his water bowl, which adds water that's been evaporated. My substrate never gets dry, this is a great way to retain moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.