BIGGEST Red Foot Ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordell

5 Year Member
I was surfing around the web and came across this picture of a Red Foot shell, I thought you all might like to see it.

DSC03334op.jpg

The shell is in Venezuela, the picture was taken while some herps were down there doing some studies. A link to the article can be found here.

cordell

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hmmmm.....It would be nice if they had a plastron shot and a view from the top. I'm perplexed by this.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Cordell,
I love reading articles like that, so wonderful when people take the time to write and post pictures. Many do that here on this forum also.Some of those shots were fantastic,all were interesting. The DOR ones were not pleasant to view, but to know that RF's just cross the road is just amazing.

and wow could that really be one that big? Well we do see mammoth dogs, cows, horses etc. Why not?Thanks so much for taking time to add the link.
Na

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh please..NO...I hope Pio doesn't get that big. I will have to build another house in my yard for him.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
That is an old photo...of a yellow foot tortoise shell.
There are some genuinely big redfoots out there though that are somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 + centimeters.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think I have the biggesst redfoot ever but my doctor gave me some medicine and it is now normal size and color.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
cdmay said:
That is an old photo...of a yellow foot tortoise shell.
There are some genuinely big redfoots out there though that are somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 + centimeters.

That was exactly my presumption, but I wanted those extra shots to be 100% clear. They have some of those at the St Louis Zoo that are every bit as big.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Those Yellow Foots at the St. Louis Zoo are MUCH larger. They are Monsters. They rival some of the aldabras and Galaps there. They are the biggest yellow foots I have ever seen. Someone needs to get pics of them. I don't know when I will make it down there again.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yeah, they have one of the best turtle and tortoise collections at a zoo that I have seen. They have some of my favorite tortoises, Egpytians, Speckled Padlopers, Elongated, Stars, Pancakes, and Bow Sprits. They also have some very cool turtles, including McCord's Box turtles and Big Head turtles. They are also one of the few places in the WORLD where you can see a Tuatara. They are awesome.

quote='kyryah' pid='127843' dateline='1272054948']
I'm going to St. Louis. Holy Crap they have a NICE collection of torts.
[/quote]

Bryan

10 Year Member!
The biggest ever IIRC was 23-24" long and weighed around 50-60lbs. From the Gran Chaco. There's a pic of it and the exact measurements in The Tortoises Of South America.

Status
Not open for further replies.