Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yesterday I got a call from a guy who lives out in the country and found a tortoise in his yard he wanted me to pick up.

So today I drive out there and get the tortoise. Its a female Russian and what a big girl she is! She's 7" long. I didn't weigh her yet and my camera batteries need to be recharged, but I'll give you all the specifics when I take pictures of her. I already have Fat Betty, who is the largest Russian I've ever seen, and I have a large male that I'm pretty sure is the same sub species as Fat Betty. And now I have Big Bertha. Of course, I have to try to find Bertha's previous owner, but if no one claims her, I think I'll keep her. I'm going to have Danny i.d. all of my russians and I'm only going to keep one sub species. But so far they're too wiggly and too poopy to take pictures of. I'm going to try to find them real early in the morning when they're cold. Maybe I'll have better luck getting them to be still then.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That's funny Yvonne. I have the best luck getting Trevor's photo when he's sleepy, eating, or basking.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Can't wait to see the pictures. I guess 7 inches is big for a Russian. :) Candy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Darn it! I turned her loose in the quarantine pen and forgot to weigh her. Oh well...here's what she looks like:

RussianBigBertha-3.jpg

RussianBigBertha-2.jpg

She's 7" from front to back. The next time I see Fat Betty I'm going to catch up Big Bertha and get them a picture side-by-side.

Yvonne

Here's a shot of Fat Betty (on the bottom) and Big Bertha:

FatBettyBigBertha.jpg

Fat Betty weighs 5lbs and Big Bertha weighs 4 and a half pounds. It looks to me as if Big Bertha is a long term captive. Reason I say this is because of all the yellow growth and also her carapace slopes off over the hips. Fat Betty is rounder.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow she is big Yvonne. She's so cute. Now maybe they'll be friends. Candy

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
She looks nice Yvonne :D How wide is she?

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are both T.h.horsfieldii Yvonne :D

I thought my big female was heavy at 3.5lbs :D She's 7 inches long and 6 inches wide, but 4.5lbs and 5lbs is a wee bit heavier :p

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.