Big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
I am going to build a 50-60sqft outdoor enclosure for my 4 torts, would this size be adequate? It's for 2 Radiated's and 2 Indian Stars.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It would also help to know if your thinking a rectangle, square, triangle what. Also how long are you wanting this to last you?

samstar

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
It would also help to know if your thinking a rectangle, square, triangle what. Also how long are you wanting this to last you?

Rectangle and lifetime.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
samstar said:
Hi guys,
I am going to build a 50-60sqft outdoor enclosure for my 4 torts, would this size be adequate? It's for 2 Radiated's and 2 Indian Stars.

I'd like to see those dimensions doubled...especially if it's for a 'lifetime'...if you could go 10 x 10, that's 100sq ft...and you could get a lot more creative with the landscaping;)

samstar

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
samstar said:
Hi guys,

I'd like to see those dimensions doubled...especially if it's for a 'lifetime'...if you could go 10 x 10, that's 100sq ft...and you could get a lot more creative with the landscaping;)

Ok noted, will revert back to my contractor.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
samstar said:
DeanS said:
samstar said:
Hi guys,

Ok noted, will revert back to my contractor.

When I say 100 sq ft...for this number and species indicated...that's really a bare minimum...If you can go bigger...go for it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think 5x10 or 6x10 is big enough for four adults either. It depends on how much they will be in it too. Are you in a warm part of the country and will they spend lots of time in much larger outdoor enclosures? I'd rather see the two species housed separately too, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

samstar

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I don't think 5x10 or 6x10 is big enough for four adults either. It depends on how much they will be in it too. Are you in a warm part of the country and will they spend lots of time in much larger outdoor enclosures? I'd rather see the two species housed separately too, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

They will be there full time and once in a while in my garden for an hour or two. Yes I live in a tropical climate where it's warm 24/7 and humidity between 70-90%. There will be a roof to protect them from the rain and it will be made of perspex so light can enter from the top(filtered) and the sides(no blocakge from natural sunlight) usually about 1-2 hours in the afternoon.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
samstar said:
Tom said:

They will be there full time and once in a while in my garden for an hour or two. Yes I live in a tropical climate where it's warm 24/7 and humidity between 70-90%. There will be a roof to protect them from the rain and it will be made of perspex so light can enter from the top(filtered) and the sides(no blocakge from natural sunlight) usually about 1-2 hours in the afternoon.

I would probably let the rain pour on 'em if your tropical climate is warm when it's raining. Also, I don't like the idea of filtered sunlight...just give 'em more hides to retreat to.

samstar

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
samstar said:
Tom said:

I would probably let the rain pour on 'em if your tropical climate is warm when it's raining. Also, I don't like the idea of filtered sunlight...just give 'em more hides to retreat to.

The temps here range between 24-35 degrees celcius.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It will be nice to see it complete, hope you get the size right to fit your torts..

samstar

5 Year Member
Ok guys, thanks, I am going to try and go with 100sqft. Will keep you'll posted.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
100sq ft is a little less than what I have my indian stars in, I think it's plenty of room. Of course bigger is better in any case with tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.