Beware of Coco husk, an irritated eye :(

kameko

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hello all,

I just wanted to share my recent experience.

I have 5-month-old Western Hermann Tortoises. They are doing very well and growing rapidly, so I needed to change their case to a much larger one.
When I changed the case, I also changed the substrate from "Pine bark" to "Coco soil (prob. the same for Coco husk)" from a same brand.

They seemed to be happy with the new coco soil, but after the first night, one of the tortoises developed a very itchy eye, only half open.
The eye was covered with small particles of the husk, and she (I think it is a girl) could not stop wiping around that eye.
The other tortoises also scratch their face more often than before.
So I changed the substrate back to the pine bark one. I bathed them so that they can wash themselves off the husk.
Now it seems they are feeling better, scratching is definitely less.

I do not know if it developed into serious damage, but I could not take the risk.
I soaked the coco husk well, it was very moist, still it stuck all over their bodies.

Thanks for reading!!
Kameko

AmandaF

Congresbury
Hi Kameko

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope your tortoises continue to thrive. 🐢🐢🐢
I use coco coir which works well with my leopard tortois.

Amanda & Ernie 🐢

kameko

France
Hi Kameko

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope your tortoises continue to thrive. 🐢🐢🐢
I use coco coir which works well with my leopard tortois.

Amanda & Ernie 🐢
Thanks Amanda,
I guess Coco Coir is more fibrous and safer 👍👍

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all,

I just wanted to share my recent experience.

I have 5-month-old Western Hermann Tortoises. They are doing very well and growing rapidly, so I needed to change their case to a much larger one.
When I changed the case, I also changed the substrate from "Pine bark" to "Coco soil (prob. the same for Coco husk)" from a same brand.

They seemed to be happy with the new coco soil, but after the first night, one of the tortoises developed a very itchy eye, only half open.
The eye was covered with small particles of the husk, and she (I think it is a girl) could not stop wiping around that eye.
The other tortoises also scratch their face more often than before.
So I changed the substrate back to the pine bark one. I bathed them so that they can wash themselves off the husk.
Now it seems they are feeling better, scratching is definitely less.

I do not know if it developed into serious damage, but I could not take the risk.
I soaked the coco husk well, it was very moist, still it stuck all over their bodies.

Thanks for reading!!
Kameko
Coco coir is known to be messy like this. You have to keep it damp and also hand pack it firmly, but nobody tells you that.

"Pine bark" would not be safe to use, but you have probably got "fir bark" which is also known as fine grade orchid bark, and sold in reptile shops as "Repti-Bark". This is my preferred substrate for most tortoise housing situations.

kameko

France
Hi Tom,
Thanks but the bag for the bark says Pine Bark... hmmmm.
It is from TRIXIE brand, which is very widely sold in animal material shops in France. (The coco coir/husk was also of this brand)
It does have some fine dusty particles at the bottom of the plastic bag. Though my tortoises have been living with this bark and seems they are fine.
I will keep a close eye. It might be the plant category naming issue, which is very common...
Thanks for your comment, this forum is soooo helpful, what would I do without you guys?