behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay2412

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The russain we have, 2 people have had her before us. Theyve let her run about the house, and left the door to her enclosure open, which she hardly ever used. I followed some steps from a site reccomended on here and built and enclosure, but she doesnt seem very happy in there, even though we have right lighting etc she just tries to climb out and is much happier when shes running about in the living room with us. Any suggestions in what to do?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I think just about any tort is happier, when running as free as possible. Obviously for many reasons running loose in the house isn't usually for the best.

Could we have a few more details about her new home. How big is it? Does she have hides and such? How deep is her bedding?

Are you able to take her outside for some exercising time? Am assuming for some reason you can't build her an outdoor enclosure correct? Giving them some daily run time outside seems to really help, not only from the stand point of being out in the natural sunshine and grazing, but for getting the exercising in.

deejay2412

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yeah we live in a 3rd storey apartment so cant take her outside, she has a 2x2 foot wooden box with straw in and her light goes into the top of there, it has a door on aswell, leading out to a table which is about 5x4ft, we filled some with sand and some with straw, got grass and things in ther aswell. Also has a a bit water at the bottom wher she an lay in

My girlfriends dads a joiner so hes done a really good job of it, jus doesnt seem to want to be in there lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Also what are the temps in her enclosure? How deep is the substrate? Asking because Russians do enjoy being able to dig down in. Also she has hides right?

Like Crazy said, pictures will also help us maybe spot something that might help.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
I would imagine that it would take some time for her to become accustomed to being "trapped" in her new home; as long as you have the temps, etc. correct, I would imagine she will come around.

Of course, being in an apt. is not easy, but similar to walking a dog that resides in an apt., you can still take her out and about, watching her as she cruises about in the warm sun and light breeze of a day.

I know that my Leopard really perked up once she was able to spend time outside; mine spends several hours a day outside, but any time with real sunlight and fresh growing grasses ought to assist in making your lil' friend happier.

Keep us posted!
Purpod

Torties

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
From experience it doesn't matter how big of an enclosure you have, once your tortoise is accustomed to roaming they never get it out of their system. One of my males is always desperate to get out of his enclosure. I let him wander every day when I get home from work. It seems to work out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.