Behavior

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Hi,

Recently Darwin has started acting differently. He's always been a relatively calm tortoise, but in the last couple weeks he's been rather rowdy. He scrapes the sides of his enclosure and tries to climb up the walls.
He's still eating and sleeping, but he's been wild.
The only cause I can think of would be that he recently got a new enclosure, but his behavior started a little after that.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find out why this is happening, and if this is a sign of something bad
Thanks.

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Can he see out of his enclosure? Sometimes that gets torts going.
But it might've been that he was scared/shocked in the new enclosure and is now trying to find a way back to the old territory.
He should calm down soon enough though.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Spring! He's all sprung from spring! Which is also mating time for some. That, and maybe looking for the old familiar enclosure. A little anxious about the new place, maybe?

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot for the replies.
He could see out of his old enclosure but cannot out of this one. I also suspected it could be the change in seas and I want to take him out, but it's just too cold.
Anyway, I'm not really or concerned anymore.
Thanks a bunch.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are territorial. You've taken him out of the territory he has marked as his own and placed him in a new territory. He's merely trying to get out and try to find his way "home." He'll settle down eventually.