Begginer needing some advice!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

christian_00

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I am new in this whole tortoise world, so l need some advice and guidance, to know if I set up the right place for CRUSH (my male Juvenile Sulcata). For his place lm using play sand, l am not using any substrate, The temperature in the hot side is from 75 to 80 degrees and the cold side is from 60 to 65 (which is the side where he eats). He gets from one to two hours of natural sunlight, he loves pumpking puree, his water bowl is always with clean water. Also the UV light is on for about 12 hours. The garden you can see in the left side has regular soil, l took it from my yard and its always humid n fresh, he loves to eat from it. I do not know if what l'm doing is right, or what is that l need?

About CRUSH, he looks pretty active, when he is awake. He eats, his shell looks healthy. But please, any advice or recommendation is more than welcome, like l said l'm new in this, and l really want to give CRUSH a great place and healthy life.

Attachments

• IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 24

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi christian_00, and welcome to the Forum!

Nice enclosure. I think its a good size for his current size, but he's going to outgrow it quickly.

I'm not a big fan of using sand as a substrate. Its too easy for it to get stuck to their food and ingested. This might cause impaction.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sand causes impaction, get cypress mulch or orchid bark or just plain topsoil. I believe your temps are too cold. Hot should be 95 to 100 and cold shouldn't get passed 75

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Just to confirm, is the 75-80 degrees on the "hot" side the ambient air temps in that area of the enclosure? If so, that's probably fine. If not, and that is the actual basking surface area temperatures, then they are too low, and probably need to be in the vincinity of 100'F.

I concur that sand is a poor choice. I would suggest top soil (plain clean dirt), coconut coir, cypress mulch or perhaps a combination of the above.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome....well, you asked for it...lol... you enclosure is too small. Yes, sulcatas are desert torts. But they do require humidity. Therefore. Get rid of the sand. Its not going to help with anything.you can use pestaside free soil from your back yard, cocoir, organic soil. Along those lines. Also are you doing forced soaked? Depending on age. What are your 3 temps? Basking should be 100-105 warm side at 80-90 and cool side at 75-80.....humidity should be 80* . How old is your sulcata? below my signature are threads I suggest you read that will go more into detail on raising your sulcata thanks to Tom....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! As you have been told, straight sand is not good. You can use SOME playsand in a combination mixture with things like the coir (like Bed-a-beast bricks). Only have the sand like no more then 20% of the mixture and you will be fine.

Are you finding your little guy to be like you had thought having him would be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I agree with all of the above. Click the links in my signature for all sorts of sulcata info.

Those temps are much too cool for a baby. Please correct them quickly, before it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.