Baby sulcata won't eat and move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagao

5 Year Member
Hi I bought a 2 mnths old sulcata. He won't eat and barely move since he got home. He won't open his eye either. We gave him enough heat and right temperature :(

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Where did you get it from and was it active there?

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
How many days have you had it? It's normal for them to take a couple days to settle into new surroundings and feel comfortable enough to eat and such, but it sounds to me like he could be sick. If he's not moving at all, and his eyes are shut all the time, that is worrisome. Sometimes breeders/sellers keep babies too dry and they get really dehydrated. Have you done any soaks? Put him in lukewarm water for maybe 20 minutes twice today and see if that perks him up. Make sure his water stays warmish during the soaks. If you've had him more than a couple days, and he hasn't eaten a thing, try adding some baby food to his soaking water and see if he drinks it. You can use squash, carrots, sweet potato...

Sometimes babies come to their new owners and are sick from bacterial infections, or have been suffering from chronic dehydration. These are both potentially very serious for such little torts. If he doesn't perk up with the soaks and start eating on his own SOON, I would get him to a vet. He might need antibiotics or something to recover. Send me a PM if you need help finding a vet or vet funds.

Also, maybe show us a photo of the baby and his setup so we can see if there's something you might be missing. Tell us what your temps are under the basking light and on the cooler side of the enclosure. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need more info. What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking and night?

How often are you soaking?

How was it housed before you got it?

How big is the enclosure?

Humidity?

Humid hide?

Hagao

5 Year Member
Hi Erika, thank you so much for your advice! My baby turtle moves but only when he tries get away from the light and to stretch himself from times to times. We only had it for one day, so haven't managed to make him a proper house will post some photo soon :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hagao, and welcome to the Forum!

You say, "...enough heat and right temperature..." but we need to know that you really KNOW what the right temperature is.

Also, if you're using one of those coiled compact fluorescent bulbs, that might be what's wrong.

I'll be waiting to see your picture.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
He could be too warm if he is trying to get away from the light. Below my signature there are threads on setup and care. But please give more info so we all can advise.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
What's the status of this little tort? Updates, please, Hagao... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.