Baby Sulcata will not eat anything green

ddaigle

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
From what I have read, Sulcatas will eat just about anything! Gator will not eat any thing green I give him. The only thing he will eat is the purple stuff in Spring Mix and pumpkin. I put him outside in his enclosure and all he does is walk around. I've tried putting fresh grass and clovers in his food bowl and he gives me the stink eye! He will not eat the Mazuri food either. Is this normal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you using indoors for heating and lighting?

ddaigle

Louisiana
What are you using indoors for heating and lighting?
I bought a tortoise starter kit at petsmart. Im using the 75 wt basking bulb that came with it. I threw the spiral bulb away. All temps are good. Hot side is around 95 cool side is 80-82 and at night its about 75. Humidity is 65. I also put him outside for an hour in the am and pm. I soak him in the am and pm also. He eats as soon as I finish soaking him. Lance told me that it is weird because he never feed him any purple veggies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is the 75 watt bulb a "white" bulb or is it colored, like an "infrared" bulb?

Humidity needs to be higher, and the night temps should not drop below 80. 75 is too cool. You need a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain a warm enough ambient day and night. When fall approaches you might get a nasty surprise if your baby turns up sick because night temps dropped too low with evaporative cooling and all.

Covering the top will help all around.

ddaigle

Louisiana
Is the 75 watt bulb a "white" bulb or is it colored, like an "infrared" bulb?

Humidity needs to be higher, and the night temps should not drop below 80. 75 is too cool. You need a CHE set on a thermostat to maintain a warm enough ambient day and night. When fall approaches you might get a nasty surprise if your baby turns up sick because night temps dropped too low with evaporative cooling and all.

Covering the top will help all around.
Its a white bulb and I bought a CHE this morning. I wanted to get a Mercury Vapor bulb but I will have to wait until next payday! I put a small piece of a cactus pad in there this morning and he ate that!!!! Small steps at least it was something green. I have a mesh screen covering it and I lined it with foil to keep the heat in. The last couple of days he stayed in the hot side. After I put the CHE he started going back and forth My temp is 80 cool side 100 hot side and my humidity is at 70

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its a white bulb and I bought a CHE this morning. I wanted to get a Mercury Vapor bulb but I will have to wait until next payday! I put a small piece of a cactus pad in there this morning and he ate that!!!! Small steps at least it was something green. I have a mesh screen covering it and I lined it with foil to keep the heat in. The last couple of days he stayed in the hot side. After I put the CHE he started going back and forth My temp is 80 cool side 100 hot side and my humidity is at 70

Sounds good.

Eventually the appetite will come around and this baby will start eating everything in sight.