Baby sulcata (pyramiding??)

JWiediyanto

This are my new baby sulcata. Gonna get a bigger tank. Just wanna make sure if those guy are healthy. Does their shell pyramiding?ImageUploadedByTortForum1394450102.878264.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394450112.827710.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394450123.177802.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394450133.827693.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394450145.410969.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
RE: Baby sulcata

They look fine but you need to have them water and a good substrate . Read all the threads in the top part of the sulcata section .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Baby sulcata

Cute little guys, you have lots things to purchase then you can provide a good home for them.

JWiediyanto

Baby sulcata

I know.... I am just curious how to identify if the turtle's shell is pyramiding or not. I'm going to post another pictures of those turtle

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Yes you have the start of pyramids . You need to get them set up in a humid environment asap to stop the growth of pyramids .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There has not been enough growth yet for it to be bad, but yes they are on a path for pyramiding.

Please set them up in their own enclosures. They don't do well in pairs.

JWiediyanto

Baby sulcata

But overall, my tortoise are fine right? And they are healthy right ? The shell are perfect right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

No, as has been said up above, your tortoises have the start of pyramiding. They need to be set up in a very humid environment in order to stop the pyramiding from continuing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

JWiediyanto said:
But overall, my tortoise are fine right? And they are healthy right ? The shell are perfect right?

There is no way to know that from a few pictures. I could make a better guess about the health and "fine-ness", of your tortoises if I knew more about their history. And, no, as we've all stated the shells are not perfect. They have been kept too dry and are on a path toward pyramiding. Read the care sheet at the top of the sulcata page for tips on reducing the pyramiding.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and how boring! Try to imagine YOU living in a small plastic box like that.

The tortoises need more room to wander around. They need a hiding place. They need a shelter so they can get out of the light and hide. They need a waterer. They need substrate so they can dig down into it.

Please read the important threads that we have here on the forum at the top of the Sulcata section.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Did you get them fixed up I a nice big tank?