Baby sulcata outdoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierced_pixie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Right now I have my yearling sulcata indoors but I'd like to move her to my patio since for now I live in an apt with no grass yard. I'm not sure how to get getting out there and into her I closure since rain and heat lamps don't mix. Any suggestins/ previous experience? Please and thank you! <3 Scarlette and Scute

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We lived in an apartment when we first got started with tortoises. We kept them in large rubbermaid tubs with opaque sides. The UV rays will make the tubs brittle very quickly, but there are other alternatives such as pressure treated wood that would work.

It would probably be a good idea to have an indoor set-up as well, so when it is raining or is too cold, you could bring him in. Then when it's nice out, you won't need any type of heat lamp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have outdoor enclosures built and whenever the weather is decent I put them in their safe, weedy enclosures to graze and get sun. I don't usually move my sulcatas outside permanently until they are at least around 10" long which is about the time they start becoming unmanageable indoors. When that time comes you'll need a yard with some sort of temperature controlled "dog house" type set up. This usually happens by the time they are three-ish. I run extension cords to my boxes and all the connections are made inside the boxes where its warm and dry.

Here's an idea for you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cheap-Easy-Simple-Sunning-Enclosure#axzz1pazClQQa

Status
Not open for further replies.