Baby red foot lethargic

sullygirl85

Location (City and/or State)
APG, Maryland
Hey everyone I have a new baby red foot. He doesn't seem to want to eat. He has a uvb strip light in a forty gallon tank and a 65 watt flood light basking lamp the temps stay around 85-90 and it's humid because I cover the top mostly with aluminum foil and leave a little bit for ventilation purposes. He's in a forty gallon breeder tank. The substrate is coca coir and cocoa husk mix and the cooler end is about 70. He sleeps a lot and he's not eating. I picked him up and noticed this on the bottom of his belly. I just got him yesterday in the mail so I'm not sure if this is normal as my sulcata just adapted. Please help if you notice towards the bottom it's kinda like a little patch of the middle is shriveled or something. I'm not sure. I don't know his past care... image.jpg

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Give the little one some time to acclimate to the enclosure. I don't have experience with sullies but from what I've read, they seem to be more energetic than reds.

The belly thing is just from a healing yolk and looks normal (to me). My reds didn't break out of the "shy and hide all day" routine until they were about 8 months old. The only reason I didn't worry so much is because they steadily gained weight each month and their new growth came in smooth.

Give it some time. Otherwise, you can either mess with the lights in case it's too bright, adjust the temps (but always keep the whole enclosure over 80F), add more plants or hide spots for security. This is just my experience. Good luck!

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland
Give the little one some time to acclimate to the enclosure. I don't have experience with sullies but from what I've read, they seem to be more energetic than reds.

The belly thing is just from a healing yolk and looks normal (to me). My reds didn't break out of the "shy and hide all day" routine until they were about 8 months old. The only reason I didn't worry so much is because they steadily gained weight each month and their new growth came in smooth.

Give it some time. Otherwise, you can either mess with the lights in case it's too bright, adjust the temps (but always keep the whole enclosure over 80F), add more plants or hide spots for security. This is just my experience. Good luck!

Thank you for your response. Ok I will definitely add more plants. with sulcatas I know you have to be a bit picky with plants so I will check a list of ok ones to add in the red foot enclosure. I was thinking aloe vera I think I saw someone with that. Im not sure. I just want to make sure that he is ok because I wasn't use to that behavior :) He loves laying on the rocks under the basking lamp so I mean i see him move sometimes but as long as he's ok I am happy. He's my seven year old sons tortoise and let me tell you, he loves him to death! So I am just being mommy and making sure all is good. I still have questions about my sulcata so i am sure I will be the same with this one ;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
70 is too cold. Too cold for digestion to take place and too cold for high humidity. It may cause breathing and upper respiratory issues. 79-89 is what I strive for. Redfoot do not need to bask and do not seem to like it very hot. But they need to be warm. (and humid) If he's basking, he is likely too cool.
don't forget that in nature, they hide a lot too and hiding under plants makes them feel good.
It is also 100% normal for a baby RF to sleep 20 hours a day.