Baby leopard tortoise

Leonardthetortoise!

Location (City and/or State)
Savannah
Hey all,

can baby tortoises get worms or Parasites that make it hard for them to gain weight? My baby tortoise is eating pretty good he gets a variety of greens daily and a softened Mazuri every other day he is about two months old and he just hasn’t gotten above 30 grams. He did have some trouble starting off when I first got him I think he was dry started from the breeders and so he does have the symptoms of hatchling failure syndrome but he has been slowly improving and has been eating and drinking really good and I have been soaking him daily in Pedialyte, baby food carrots and warm water I know it’s a very slim chance for these dry started baby’s but I am just making sure that there isn’t anything else I could do to give him the best chance of pulling through. His temps are 90-95 under the lamp and 80-85 in the cool side and his humidity is anywhere from 75-85.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Hey all,

can baby tortoises get worms or Parasites that make it hard for them to gain weight? My baby tortoise is eating pretty good he gets a variety of greens daily and a softened Mazuri every other day he is about two months old and he just hasn’t gotten above 30 grams. He did have some trouble starting off when I first got him I think he was dry started from the breeders and so he does have the symptoms of hatchling failure syndrome but he has been slowly improving and has been eating and drinking really good and I have been soaking him daily in Pedialyte, baby food carrots and warm water I know it’s a very slim chance for these dry started baby’s but I am just making sure that there isn’t anything else I could do to give him the best chance of pulling through. His temps are 90-95 under the lamp and 80-85 in the cool side and his humidity is anywhere from 75-85.
I posted the other day about hatchling weight as I was not sure what proper weight/age ratio is. I have a 10week old Leo tort and he was 27g when I weighed him on the 15th of June. Per Tom, hatchlings range between 15-30g...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all,

Lack of weight gain is one of the primary symptoms of a dry start. Are you keeping the baby in a warm humid closed chamber? If yes, I think that is about all you can do. Wait and hope.

I wouldn't use the pedialyte or baby food for a tortoise that is active and eating. Its not necessary. Plain water is fine.

I hope your baby makes it! :) Best of luck to you.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
Hang in there!