Baby leopard tortoise feeding.

Joseph Flores

Location (City and/or State)
MERCEDES, TX
I wanted to know what are some very good daily things I can feed my 6-month old baby leopard tortoise? I use collard greens, romaine lettuce, timothy hay but I heard the timothy hay is too hard and thick for it even if its soaked, and I use tortoise pellets.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you seen the sticky threads at the top of this African tortoises section? That will give you ideas for a varied diet. Also www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good starting guide to safe and toxic foods for all torts.

Chemical and fume free weeds like dandelions, clover, ribwort plantain and broadleaf plantain are favourites for my tort, but in the winter I have to rely on shop bought salad bags. Florette Classic crispy salad has a good mix of leaves, lettuces like frisee, endive, escarole, lollo rosso, radicchio, lambs lettuce are OK but iceberg isn't very nutritious. I also occasionally feed romaine pa, choi, kale, spring greens.

My leopard is about 9 years old and he won't eat dried grass. He will graze on fresh grass in the summer but won't even eat that if I cut it for him. I finely grind a product we have called Readigrass in a blender and always sprinkle that on wet leaves to ensure he is getting fibre etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Skip the text on this thread and scroll down to the food list:

The best thing you can do is get out of the grocery store.

phoenix988

5 Year Member
Use the scissor cut timothy hay and orchard hay to very small pieces. and mix with the Zoomed Grassland tortoise diet, Mazuri diet.
Use very hot water or boiling water to sock them to very soft and juicy.
mash them together. mix with calcium and vitamins. feed to the tortoises.
baby leopard tortoise very easy to have diarrhea by just eat store-bought veg, try not to feed to them for now, you may feed veg to them in the future when they are getting older.
you also need the right temp and humidity too.