Baby box turtle fungus on shell won’t go away, help!

shallynblair

Location (City and/or State)
Grass Valley CA,
I have a baby boxy I hatched a few months ago. I have had several hatchlings in the past that all did well, but this is the first time I have ever seen a fungus grow on a shell before. My guess is that it came from some cheap craft store moss I bought and put in its container, which I have never done before and will never do again! I cleaned everything out. For over two weeks I have been trying a topical solution which is an anti fungal spray (I use a Q tip to apply the liquid directly on the fungus). The fungus seems to retreat and go away, but within hours it comes right back. I don’t know what to do… is it Vet time? Thank you for any help! (P.s. the container you see in the photo is not what he actually lives in).
IMG_4429.jpeg
IMG_4211.jpeg!

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I have a baby boxy I hatched a few months ago. I have had several hatchlings in the past that all did well, but this is the first time I have ever seen a fungus grow on a shell before. My guess is that it came from some cheap craft store moss I bought and put in its container, which I have never done before and will never do again! I cleaned everything out. For over two weeks I have been trying a topical solution which is an anti fungal spray (I use a Q tip to apply the liquid directly on the fungus). The fungus seems to retreat and go away, but within hours it comes right back. I don’t know what to do… is it Vet time? Thank you for any help! (P.s. the container you see in the photo is not what he actually lives in).
View attachment 363366
View attachment 363365!
Athlete's foot cream was suggested to me about a fungus. It sticks very well. Doesn't seem to matter what kind.
View attachment 363366
View attachment 363365!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think that's fungus, but I don't know what it is. At any rate, athlete foot cream can do no harm.

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
I don't think that's fungus, but I don't know what it is. At any rate, athlete foot cream can do no harm.
I know it’s not calcium build up since I tested for it, but it does seem to react to the fungal liquid. It just doesn’t want to stay gone! I bought some athletes foot cream today so I’ll see how it looks tomorrow. I had no idea fungus was so difficult… or whatever it is.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know it’s not calcium build up since I tested for it, but it does seem to react to the fungal liquid. It just doesn’t want to stay gone! I bought some athletes foot cream today so I’ll see how it looks tomorrow. I had no idea fungus was so difficult… or whatever it is.
Be sure to use it daily and for a week after it seems to be healed. I think you might be stopping the treatment of it to soon.