Baby Arfur the adorable sulc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajg74

5 Year Member
Hi guys! So I've had my baby sulc for a few months and have been reading this site often. I figured it was time to introduce Arfur to the world and ask for any advice.

Habitat- I'm from the Pittsburgh PA area so it is not exactly warm enough outside for Arfur to roam freely. However this summer we plan to build him an outdoor area that we can put him in during the hot summer days! For now hes in a 40 gallon. I use coconut coir substrate for his bedding that I spray usually twice a day depending on the humidity. I made a little hut for him and glued sponges on the top that I keep moist as well. I use a 100 watt Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp (pictures below)

Feeding- When I purchased Arfur from a breeder at the Reptile Expo I got a bag of tortoise pellets in the shape much like dog food. I soak them in water until they become moist and he chows down on those. He also LOVES clover so I pick some clover and grasses for him to munch on as well. In addition to the pellet and clover he gets Nature Zone Tortoise Bites which are cactus pear that he loves as well. Whatever he doesn't eat while hes out I usually put in his food dish and clean it out the next day.

Soaking- I read its very important to soak baby sulcs so Arfur gets a soaking two to three times a week although its very obvious he does not like it.

He seems to be very healthy to me. For a while he wasn't very active and just slept but I assumed it was him being a baby. Hes more active now and hes getting much faster! I'm anxious for him to grow bigger but now hes tiny and adorable! Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

-Amanda
382650_2097791452445_1475130076_31773989_105797875_n.jpg
[/img]

391452_2097790932432_1475130076_31773986_1392351997_n.jpg
[/img]

photo2.jpg
[/img]

mailgooglecomgd.jpg

mailgooglecom1.jpg
[/img]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your habitat looks pretty nice. The hiding place might be a bit big, as babies like to feel a bit more closed in and safe.

I love the name "Arfur."

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
That is the CUTEST little guy!!!! :3 and the name is just perfect! :D my little girl looked a lot like that when I first got her, but now she's growing up quick ;) very nicely set up tank too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.