Are they edible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
This is a list of plants and trees in my yard that I have not seen on any toxic or edible list. Can someone please tell me if any are edible or toxic.
Maybe I haven't seen then because i don't know the REAL name. Please excuse spelling:)
Trees~ Almond (I think I saw it on a toxic list), Apple, Nectarine, Apricot, Liquid Amber, Jacaranda, Mimosa, Avacado, Manzanita
Plants~ Lavender, Jasmine

Thanks!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The apple, nectarine, and apricot are edible (be sure to remove pits from nectarine and apricot because these are toxic). Avacado is a no no. Can't speak for the rest as don't grow in my area.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I was thinking of the leaves. I have CDTs and I am pretty sure fruit is not good for them. I guess I should have said that.
Thanks.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I wouldn't feed the leaves off the peach or apricot as drupe fruit leaves are toxic to livestock and why take a chance. I don't know about the apple but I'd skip it too.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks Larry. I don't take any chances with my little guys, but I do want to find edible plants for them. I am sure there is a ton of stuff growing here they could eat, but I am so afraid of them eating something that is toxic that their diet is limited. I have looked a a bunch of sites with pictures, but most the weeds and plants don't look familiar to me.

Fireluv007

5 Year Member
I'm curious about lavender, too! We have several huge lavender bushes growing around here... I know you can use the leaves/flowers to make tea, and its often used to calm animals.

It sure would be pretty in an outdoor enclosure.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
A couple good options for foliage are concord grapes and if you have the room a mulberry (fruitless variety).

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I have an avocado tree in my backyard, but Fernando doesn't even try to eat the leaves, neither does Dale. Fernando does like the avocado though. :D He didn't get sick from eating it although I don't feed it to him much. I've talked with Douglas Beard about avocados and he says they are not toxic to his tortoises as they eat both the fruit and the leaves at times. :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Itort~I have a fruitless mulberry and I was very excited when I found out they could eat it. I give them that a few weeds I know are okay, hibiscus, geraniums, rose petals, a little ice plant and spring mix but I would like to give them a bigger veriety

Status
Not open for further replies.